Have you ever had a tank crack or explode?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should put that fear out of your mind, dont even let it enter your mind ever.

An athelete doesnt thing about injury, a cop doesnt worry about getting shot on the job that day, and we shouldn't worry about our tanks exploding.

Its always a possibility but if you dwell on it you invite the universal karma to prove your fears right.

My current main tank is built in 2003, so 19 years old, with about 30 lbs of hob equipment hanging off the back rim.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, earthquakes aren't the end all be all (quietly waits for the big one). I've been around a few rollers with aquariums: Whittier '87, Landers (Big Bear) '92, Northridge '94, and a few others that broke 5.0 on the richter scale since high school in the early 1990's. Northridge was a nightmare and a LOT of water hit the floor @ my parents house at the time. Usually by the time we feel it, decide to maybe wedge under something or the old get in the doorway mantra, it's over.

The hardest shake I've been through wasn't a earthquake, it was the noise of a DC9 aircraft falling from the sky and slamming into the ground, three blocks from my grandparents house.

We had a good shaker a few years ago, (2019 or 2020) where I did see the tank begin to slosh water a bit (total wave action), I was gonna throw the circuit breaker to kill the power, but the quake was over by the time I walked over to the panel to kill the power.

In the end, Californians are aware of earthquakes, but it doesn't consume us, we can't allow it to.
I love it ! Just do it!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in fla looking down the hurricane barrel every year, you gotta take the bad with the good! ;)
I don't envy ya'll @ all. We're looking at retiring/moving somewhere south within the next 6-8 years (my other half is done before 55, I'm screwed til at least 65). We may be hurricane bait soon enough!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have not had one crack or explode, even with a couple earthquakes. The biggest was a 7.2 a few years back. Had a 135 and a 180 at the time. The movement caused waves so big, water splashed out of the tank and hit the back wall and then on the ceiling. Lost maybe 25 gallons on both tanks. Popped the power to those outlets. Moved the tanks about a 3/8" ( out of square on the stand) on the 180 and the 135 was still in place.
I was at work and went home after roll call and I really expected to find nothing but glass and water on the floor. But I was lucky.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 55 gallon FW crack and leak into the apartment below me. Fortunately my sister lived there so the landlord wasn't notified. She thought I was drunk and forgot to turn off the bathtub lol. I had recently purchased the tank from my brother and he felt bad so he replaced it. Yep it cracked again and ran down onto my sisters place again. It was the stand causing the tank to crack. I'm slow sometimes so it took two times for me to figure it out.
Another time I had a 30 gallon FW leak over night in our living room with carpet. Called the insurance on that one and told the claims rep what happened. She asked did it leak or did it break, because a leak is not covered. I'm not that slow so I knew whe was coaching me and I replied it broke. She says ok I'll start the claim for you. Gotta love a compassionate clams adjuster. I have to say tho the worst floods I've had were self induced when getting distracted while refilling tanks. These were all FW floods.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an 80 gallon acrylic tank bust while I was cleaning it. It was about 12-14 years old and was glued with just the single part solvent, not the 2 part selfpolermerizing glue. One corner joint let go but fortunately I was ablr to grab a towel and push into the joint. Fortunately that gave me the ime and I had enough buckets to siphon out the water and save all the animals. Cleaning the carpet and calcualting what was lost the towels slowed the leak enough so only about 5-6 gallons was actually lost and about 4 gallons was recoverd with the carpet cleaner.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back