Have you ever had success breeding livestock in your tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, I see people on here who breed livestock whether it be a particular fish or maybe inverts, and I always wonder how in the world they do it haha. I am wondering, have you had success breeding livestock, and how did you go about doing it? Curious to hear what everyone has to say!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean Spawning or raising? Many of my fish spawn but I have not raised any in years.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did raise seahorse fry mostly in my seahorse tank but they were in a separate half gallon plastic goldfish bowl that was made into a kreisel nursery, that was held inside the main tank by magnets. That way my 22 fry could be fed baby brine shrimp 5Xs a day in their nursery and when they were done eating the bbs then the nursery could be flushed with water from the main tank. It worked well since the fry stayed in the water they were born in. Their tiny nursery was constantly being kept flushed with the heavily filtered water of the main tank, yet it was a small enough enclosure to insure that the fry were adequately nourished during feeding times.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have not spawned, or raised livestock. probably because i've gotten things that don't readily breed in captivity.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for me, I see people on here who breed livestock whether it be a particular fish or maybe inverts, and I always wonder how in the world they do it haha. I am wondering, have you had success breeding livestock, and how did you go about doing it? Curious to hear what everyone has to say!
Funny enough... clownfish in general have spawned with me. Both ocellaris and tomato clowns. Only the ocellaris fry were raised and in my one attempt at raising them I only got a few to make it. So in general I haven't had much success on the saltwater side. In terms of corals I haven't raised much. I've only kept corals for a bit before a tank crash and haven't tried since.

On the freshwater side I've bred about 20 species multiple times and another few species gave me the odd spawn. Raised plenty of fish on the freshwater side as well. Much easier there.

Hopefully one day I try my hand at something on the saltwater side again (I'm eyeing yellow watchman gobies as my next breeding project).

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do, I haven't bought trochus in years. I have a yellow corris wrasse that I think kills a lot of the smaller or the hermit crabs. But some defiantly make it

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are currently spawning. However I’m not currently equipped to raise them so they will just be free fish food. This time.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever intentionally bred and raised freshwater species. I was really into fancy guppy strains for a while as well as various lines of colored neocaridina shrimp.

Now I have a mini breeding project for tiger endlers, but it's mostly just something to watch rather than a vested desire to breed them. Nothing in salt yet, but I have always wanted to eventually have the space and liquidity to start up a much larger scale breeding/selling business and I'd definitely get into it.

DreadedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are currently spawning. However I’m not currently equipped to raise them so they will just be free fish food. This time.
I too have had my maroon clowns do the same. I did try twice so get the fry to survive but my flow was too high and/or they were food for the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back