Have You Ever Had This Moment?

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your tank is all set up and established and you are ready to add your (first or more) fish, you know what you want which is (fish - X) you walk in only to find that you cannot find that fish. You decide to look around and think I have to leave with something! You find (Fish - Y) which you had no intentions in keeping but you get it anyways.
(You can basically call this impulse buys but I think this is different.)

Some questions if you did...
1. What fish do you come in to buy?
2. What fish did you end up buying?
3. Do you think this fish was a better choice?
4. What ended up happening to it?
5. Do you regret buying it or are you thrilled you bought it?

Here is mine,
I went into the store look for corydoras but I ended up with a Banjo Catfish which I think I am happy with so far!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very early in the hobby, with a 55 gallon tank. The grandkids wanted a "Dory" to go with Nemo and Coral...

Luckily, I did not find one, as my tank was way too small. Sadly, I did find a beautiful gold spot rabbitfish, which was quite small, and the LFS was happy to sell me.

It was a beautiful fish, and grew quickly, I kept it until is was about 7 inches; by that time I had friends in the hobby with a large enough tank, so I tried to give it to them, but sadly, it did not survive the trip across town, never did figure out why.

So yes, I try to research fish a lot more now, and avoid the "impulse buy." Much easier to do now that the nearest LFS is 2 hours away!

Last edited:

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS looking for a Wyoming White Clownfish but all of them had sold out. Saw a beautiful Royal Gramma for a relatively good price. Loved the fish for the first two weeks but when I finally got my Wyoming White, the Royal Gramma went full territorial mode so I had to take out all my rock work to get him. I liked him while it last and I am willing to give basslets another chance. I have my eyes on a black cap basslet and hope that it will end up better than the Royal Gramma.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your tank is all set up and established and you are ready to add your (first or more) fish, you know what you want which is (fish - X) you walk in only to find that you cannot find that fish. You decide to look around and think I have to leave with something! You find (Fish - Y) which you had no intentions in keeping but you get it anyways.
(You can basically call this impulse buys but I think this is different.)

Some questions if you did...
1. What fish do you come in to buy?
2. What fish did you end up buying?
3. Do you think this fish was a better choice?
4. What ended up happening to it?
5. Do you regret buying it or are you thrilled you bought it?

Here is mine,
I went into the store look for corydoras but I ended up with a Banjo Catfish which I think I am happy with so far!

Probably the closest I came to that was when I bought my Purple Firefish (really wanted an exquisite), but my LFS couldn't source one and I could pick up the purple for much cheaper. Ended up finding a purple with gorgeous colors that I couldn't say no to. Was it a better choice? In the sense that I didn't waste a bunch of money on a more expensive firefish it was definitely worth it. What happened to it? Unfortunately it died (I suspect an aggressive snowflake occ clownfish of doing it in). Did I regret buying it? Yes, it was the most easily bullied and targeted fish in my tank. The only purpose it served was to make me thankful I didn't pay 2x more for the exquisite and basically killed any desire for me to pay 3-4x more for the Helfrichi.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back