Have you ever moved an aquarium from one house to another? What was your experience like?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So how many of you have had the "fun" experience of tearing down a tank at one place of residence and relocating it? I've done it a couple of times. My most nerve-wracking experience was moving a tank from Virginia to Ohio about 10 years ago. I used a combination of totes and buckets to transport everything. I had fish and corals in as few containers as possible to minimize the need for heaters and powerheads as much as possible. Despite the high level of anxiety, everything made the trip safely. And I learned some important things from it!
  1. I learned the importance of planning and trying to think through every detail.
  2. I learned that despite your best efforts, you are going to spill water in transit (usually only when your spouse is looking right at the bucket or tote that is spilling).
  3. I learned that things will NOT go as you plan them to.
  4. I learned that I will NEVER do that again! LOL
How about you guys? Ever moved a tank? Would you do it again?

My answer would be: Maybe across town, but never again across states. :cool:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we moved back in 2019, I used food safe tubs for the fish rock and coral. It was very nerve racking to say tye least. It was only about 8 minutes away but every turn you were petrified that a rock would shift and brake a coral off or crush a fish. Everyone made it safe and sound and I then proceeded to set up the 75G. Still don't ever want to have to do that again

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1975 I moved 2 55 gallons across town. Used plastic trash cans (long before Brute was a thing) in the back of a U-Haul truck and a new, clean garden hose. Worked fine.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just did with my upgrade! First couple posts of my build thread! Drained and moved a 400 gallon system in 7 hours from one house to another and had it stocked the same day haha!
You, my friend, are a pro!!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When we moved back in 2019, I used food safe tubs for the fish rock and coral. It was very nerve racking to say tye least. It was only about 8 minutes away but every turn you were petrified that a rock would shift and brake a coral off or crush a fish. Everyone made it safe and sound and I then proceeded to set up the 75G. Still don't ever want to have to do that again
Yep! I felt every bit of that post!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back