(Have you ever) The coral looks different once you put in your tank (compared to LFS)

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per subject, have you ever had this experience?

I have and (i think) mostly the problem lies with my Kessil A360WE.

Whilst it's an excellent LED for marine, it's lack of other color spectrum which can make some colors in Corals pop.

Kessil A360WE only has white & blue spectrum.

I will take an example of a Pink Birdsnest; when viewed in LFS, they look bright pastel pink, however once this goes into the tank and let it get acclimated after few weeks, it never look the same.

I do understand (from memory), although these other spectrum do not contribute to coral growth, it will somehow make a difference to their coloration.

What's your thoughts on this?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be a lot of different factors...not necessarily light related IMO

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I've got from reputable LFS like WWC, Reefers Direct, Living Reef etc look the same and just as amazing as in their stores.

Now when I first got my tank and my first coral I bought a cheap brown torch that look bland and now it's grown, changed colors and looks great with light pink tentacles and bright white tips.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per subject, have you ever had this experience?

I have and (i think) mostly the problem lies with my Kessil A360WE.

Whilst it's an excellent LED for marine, it's lack of other color spectrum which can make some colors in Corals pop.

Kessil A360WE only has white & blue spectrum.

I will take an example of a Pink Birdsnest; when viewed in LFS, they look bright pastel pink, however once this goes into the tank and let it get acclimated after few weeks, it never look the same.

I do understand (from memory), although these other spectrum do not contribute to coral growth, it will somehow make a difference to their coloration.

What's your thoughts on this?

Actually, your Kessil has a number of other color LEDs; you can see them easier at the perimeter of the light if you shine it on the floor or something similar.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back