Haven't seen my fish eat since I got it.

FilthyFrog-Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 6 months ago I picked up a geometric pygmy hawkfish. To this day I've never seen it eat any of the food I've tried offering. LFS I got it from said they were feeding mysis and live brine, which is what I also use in my rotation. The tank is a 20 gallon long that I use that I use for quarantine/observation before moving the fish to the display. It's been up an running for about two and a half years so I have plenty of pods which are what I think the hawkfish is feeding on since the fish doesn't show signs of sickness or weightloss. But the thing is I've never actually seen it picking at anything when I do happen to see the fish out and about. So what I wanna know is if anyone else has had an experience like this with pygmy hawks.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much if you've kept it alive for six months, it so shows no signs of disease, and is fat (or at least not emaciated). Mine was quite cryptic when I had it in a 40g cube, and would often emerge at feeding time just to watch the mysis floating by. It did nip at fish food on occasion, but seemed to take most of its nutrition at night, which made it hard to tell what it was eating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back