balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now lower it again UNDER water and place at an angle as before

1633832834115.png

Sorry I left last night (family calling)
I did as in the pic. it came down from 43 to 40.5

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really did not know what to do as i don't want to loose my live stock, its 29.9 when placed it in an angle like vetteguy53081 said,

1633911145283.png

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise using other ways to check your salinity in the meantime. I am not trusting my Apex probe reading at the moment.
the other way, can you tell me some?
as i mentioned i have apex, hanna and refractometer. what other way i could do and how do i know that is correct.

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed the first post where you post your parameters. I would go with the 34 as the proper reading. Refractometer and Hanna giving almost same reading, should be fine.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way i can get the Apex probe to read anything close to something I actually trust (Hanna salinity) is to do a manual calibration and then when it asks you to put the probe in the calibration solution put it back into the tank

You can of course only do this when your happy that the tank is around 35

By doing this it’s fairly accurate to the Hanna and provides a good guide

I dont know why neptune don’t allow a manual calibration adjustment to the reading up or down but…

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, missed the first post where you post your parameters. I would go with the 34 as the proper reading. Refractometer and Hanna giving almost same reading, should be fine.
no problem, my apex prob is a wierd problem, becaz it does show 35ppt when dipped in calibration solution. Anyway i have neptune support call tomorrow night, hope fully they will figure it out, until then hanna is the one i go with for now.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex salinity probe notorious for false readings. Its mainly due to trapping of bubbles. Pull it down in the water and turn upside down to allow bubbles to escape. As with mine, tilt it an an angle and leave it that way to allow any bubbles to escape and your reading should be good
That is pretty sad on the part of Neptune and their probe. After all, most people have their probes in a sump where there is a lot of mixing of air and water.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a decent quality, calibrated refractometer, I would use that as the gold standard.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then stand on one foot, hopping on the other, and chanting to the APEX gods. Then, and only then, maybe the probe might read right.

In all honesty though, chuck the thing in the trash and don't let it beat you up anymore. Just search this forum on how crappy the probe actually is.

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one here that uses a hydrometer? I trust it completely, it's all I've ever used. Such a simple device, I find in reliable, accurate, consistent. Never needs calibration. Admittedly I've never tested it against any other device, but honestly I've never felt the need, as my tank has done just fine so far (5 months) regarding salinity, as far as I can tell. Don't see the need to spend $ on anything else.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a number of hydrometers over the years they do work but I have seen defective ones that read wrong. the apex with then sps kit on it has been incredibly reliable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back