Hawaii Ban and Aquaculture Programs

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there has been a lot of talk on here recently about the Ban on Aquarium Trade collection in the Hawaiian Islands. Since starting my tank in the past couple of years I have been interested in the captive breeding programs as well. It might be a time to start supporting these initiatives and organizations if you truly want to see some of these species that you fear will no longer be in the trade after this year. This isn't the end all be all of the organizations but in my short search I found programs like below. I think they are the best of the middle ground in regards to their views on this instated law. As they are trying to not only help the ocean and the reefs but also keep the ornamental fish trade alive as well.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawaii ban is utterly ridiculous and ill-informed even if well-intentioned. Think about this, you can have a boatload of any dead ornamental fish and say it is for consumption, but if that same boat is filled with live fish being transported for the aquarium trade you are now breaking the law. Let that sink in for a moment.

This is what happens when you have overzealous environmentalists dictating policy for altruistic motives and not actual science. The sad thing is, there are "scientists" who are backing the zealots without science.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Hawaii ban is utterly ridiculous and ill-informed even if well-intentioned. Think about this, you can have a boatload of any dead ornamental fish and say it is for consumption, but if that same boat is filled with live fish being transported for the aquarium trade you are now breaking the law. Let that sink in for a moment.

This is what happens when you have overzealous environmentalists dictating policy for altruistic motives and not actual science. The sad thing is, there are "scientists" who are backing the zealots without science.
Exactly:.......
Unknown.jpeg

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems like this is where things are culturally and it applies to everything. Kind of a scary time.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like this is where things are culturally and it applies to everything. Kind of a scary time.
Downright frightening. It's a slow and insidious erosion of critical thinking and common sense under the guise of a "better world". People better start waking up. My father was in WWII and a German. He says the things that happened there then are happening here now. He is shocked and saddened by the course of this country now. It won't be long before all our reef tanks are outlawed and we all will be criminals.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downright frightening. It's a slow and insidious erosion of critical thinking and common sense under the guise of a "better world". People better start waking up. My father was in WWII and a German. He says the things that happened there then are happening here now. He is shocked and saddened by the course of this country now. It won't be long before all our reef tanks are outlawed and we all will be criminals.
-Again.
Alles ist in ordenung, mien herr.
I bet the environmentalist lobby invested heavily into marine aquaculture before the ban.
Enjoy them while you have them.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Again.
Alles ist in ordenung, mien herr.
I bet the environmentalist lobby invested heavily into marine aquaculture before the ban.
Enjoy them while you have them.
Jawhol, mein obergruppenfuehrer!

Back