Hawaii Yellow tang

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure there's a shoreline fishing ban on all islands in Hawaii right now also. rules are crazy out there with that gov. they have
No that’s not correct. You can legally catch them for food throughout this shutdown.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for Hawaii yellows tangs I have some good news. There has been a favorable court ruling for the reopening of wild fish harvesting in Hawaii. Although harvesting is still illegal the court recently ruled that the Board of Land and Natural Resources has enough information to make a decision on reopening harvesting. Prior to this there was a lengthy study that was being proposed by Earthjustice, which is an environmental activist organization. The need for the study has been rejected and I believe shortly the state will reopen its wild fish harvesting again. I would advise anyone looking for yellows to wait as the population of them has actually surged. Once harvesting begins prices should stabilize. I would caution against buying yellows that are being smuggled out as there are no legal channels in obtaining these fish. You can help by raising awareness about the lates news and hopefully we can bring back these beautiful fish into our aquariums.
This statement is incorrect in the sense that the environmental review WAS completed and this is what the board of land and natural resources approved and the courts upheld. The impact satetement that was produced took several years too create, thousands of pages in length, and includes every bit of science and research about the fishery

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because captive breeding should focus on fish that don’t have rock solid management schemes instead of ones that do. Like I said, your thinking is backwards

This hobby isn't hurting because of the ban. It could stay in place and the beat drums on.

Edit: you should try removing emotion from the ban and those who may see it differently

Last edited:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby isn't hurting because of the ban. It could stay in place and the beat drums on.
Outside of the fact that it hurts the fisherman and their families and the end consumer getting gouged on pricing. All of this happening despite the fact it’s a sustainable science backed fishery being held up by radical zealots that crow about muh science until it goes against their regressive narrative.

all of that aside I guess you may be right

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: you should try removing emotion from the ban
You really have a myopic view of this topic. My POV isn’t based solely on emotion. It’s based on the science and the cold hard facts. Funny you try to frame it as such when my opponents are the ones basing their opinions strictly on emotional arguments and have literally nothing to back up their positions

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was going to get a school of 7 before this ban - perhaps its going to be possible when I finally cycle the new build.

Not interested even in one at current insane prices.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of the fact that it hurts the fisherman and their families
That is a different argument. A good one though I do not disagree. I do not know how ornamental fishing factors in or compares to that of feeding populations or if it is related. I'm ignorant here. Apologies.

and the end consumer getting gouged on pricing.

Selfish aspect shouldn't factor in. A lot of us have no idea how much effort goes into captive breeding or raising. ORA, Bali, Biota, etc. People complain about a 160 dollar yellow tang yet will drop down 250 dollars on a 1/4" frag. Bring fish to ornamental trade isn't easy. Todd Gardner's MACNA 2022 presentation had some hidden gems in it with regards to effort and risk. ORA has a few.

I will say that I do hear the concern on price but this is a hobby and hobbies are residual income.

All of this happening despite the fact it’s a sustainable science backed fishery being held up by radical zealots that crow about muh science until it goes against their regressive narrative.

I try and remove the emotion out of it. I do hear what you are saying which is why I paused on the fisherman and family aspect of it. Politics are, well politics and I'll pass - I agree they play a part. I wish they didn't.

all of that aside I guess you may be right

No, I'm not right. In fact it isn't a right or wrong. I was just wondering why you thought a different view is looking at it the wrong way. I'm probably one of the few that don't see the ban as a bad thing. In fact this hobby could probably stop all wild imports and we would still be ok and have some awesome displays.

Hope this makes sense. Discussion on it is great if everyone (not saying you or I here) can just remove the emotion and feel good/bad of it and just talk.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really have a myopic view of this topic. My POV isn’t based solely on emotion. It’s based on the science and the cold hard facts. Funny you try to frame it as such when my opponents are the ones basing their opinions strictly on emotional arguments and have literally nothing to back up their positions

Fair enough - see my other post. When I did the edit I did say "you" but it is more of a wider audience. Not as you in our discussion. When this subject is often talked about emotions get in the way which can, and do, mask discussions and data presented. Regardless of view.

As in most discussions surrounding environment, politics, etc. Hopefully that makes sense.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Id let those that live there, experiencing the pros and cons of the impact first hand comment. This is a US state that should have way better protections in place so the environment isn’t negatively impacted to the degree of let’s say Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. Others don’t have a dog in the fight but rather an opinion or emotional response. Yes, by all means express it and voice your concern but at the same time b tolerant of others.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why don’t you post your own personal take, end-to-end, on the situation instead of trying to flame every comment that comes in?

It’d be beneficial to this thread to get a first hand perspective from someone who it’s directly affected. (If your username is accurate)

Leave the thesaurus out of it though. Wouldn’t want us simple folk’s responses being too “myopic” for you.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you post your own personal take, end-to-end, on the situation instead of trying to flame every comment that comes in?

It’d be beneficial to this thread to get a first hand perspective from someone who it’s directly affected. (If your username is accurate)

Leave the thesaurus out of it though. Wouldn’t want us simple folk’s responses being too “myopic” for you.
Did i flame the guy? I gave him the same energy back that he initiated and it’s not even hostile, unlike you. What is there to say that hasn’t already been spelled out in the environmental review, the science, the management plan, the court proceedings and in various publications? This has been going on for four years and everything is PUBLIC RECORD.I could add additional information but it seems like it would be pointless dealing with a jerk like you. Is that simple enough?

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got lucky and was able to buy two real yellow Hawaii tangs from a vendor who had atleast 150.
It was only 100 more than biota.

Don't ask me, I won't say. Buy reefprostore also had some for sale recently. Dr reefs had some, so they are coming from somewhere.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you
Now I know how I got lucky
Well here is my pair in quarantine.

20221018_001425.gif 20221018_001422.gif 20221018_001354.jpg

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, potters angels are cool and all but when I first read the headline of the reef builders article my mind immediately went “hey, I might be able to get that bandit angel I’ve been wanting”…dang haha

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well crap, potters angels are cool and all but when I first read the headline of the reef builders article my mind immediately went “hey, I might be able to get that bandit angel I’ve been wanting”…dang haha
You can still get it. 2500 to 3500 depending on size. Smaller is more money. That's what's funny. All fishes are trickling in slowly. Just the prices are through the roof.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and was able to buy two real yellow Hawaii tangs from a vendor who had atleast 150.
It was only 100 more than biota.

Don't ask me, I won't say. Buy reefprostore also had some for sale recently. Dr reefs had some, so they are coming from somewhere.

Some are being sourced from Ogasawara Island.

Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back