Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god for this thread. Picked up an abandoned special order from the LRS...specifically asked if they need special care or anything...nope...get on r2r and YEP...Gonna go looking for itty bitty foods now. I have been feeding mysis and Pellets...time to add something else to the mix.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god for this thread. Picked up an abandoned special order from the LRS...specifically asked if they need special care or anything...nope...get on r2r and YEP...Gonna go looking for itty bitty foods now. I have been feeding mysis and Pellets...time to add something else to the mix.
These are absolutely his favorite.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly he didnt make it....I feel he was already bad off when I got him home and he moved on to the reef in the sky the next day. Thankfully the LFS gave me a full credit and apologized for selling me such an expert level fish...I have a feeling the employee's will be getting a talking too at the least. Hate it that he suffered he was a gorgeous fish.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly he didnt make it....I feel he was already bad off when I got him home and he moved on to the reef in the sky the next day. Thankfully the LFS gave me a full credit and apologized for selling me such an expert level fish...I have a feeling the employee's will be getting a talking too at the least. Hate it that he suffered he was a gorgeous fish.
Hate to see this... sadly why they are not easily kept in home aquariums.. I feel the travel and catch process can be really harsh on these fish in general (if not all fish)

Also, key is that they eat. If not eating these fish will perish, they need food with how much energy they exert a day.

Swim in Peace little Cleaner.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on mine. He has now started eating frozen Mysis. Still eats mostly fish eggs but has definitely expanded his palette.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all!!

Lucky is doing great as ever.. I had a a vacation home for the holidays to Nevada so I was leaving my tank for the longest period without multiple feedings since adding Lucky. This made me nervous...

nervous biting nails GIF

I of course leaned on my extremely helpful and amazing reefing buddy @BighohoReef (YOU'RE THE MAN) who is my local buddy to me and he said without a doubt he'd watch the tank (he knows in reality that tanks success means coral for him... LOL!)

After grabbing a WYZE camera I set up shop and headed South for the holidays.. I think I lasted about 3 hours into the drive before I had the WYZE app opened! (I would highly recommend for any helicopter reefer)

With just a singular heavy feeding a day, Lucky prevailed and seems happy! Of course once Dad was home Lucky was back to feeding from my hands.. The @reefnutrition artic pods seem to be something Lucky has grown interest to, but have noticed an increase in hunting behavior as he scans the tank for any pods through out the day!

Hope all of you are well, and be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel, because a fun full feature on Lucky will be coming soon!

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on mine. He has now started eating frozen Mysis. Still eats mostly fish eggs but has definitely expanded his palette.
Love hearing this, funny seems yourself and me are the only ones currently talking about Hawaiian cleaners in active tanks!

Who else has one out there? Join the discussion with us!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just so curious as to why they have such a bad rep. I don't want to jinx myself but as I sit at the desk typing this in front of the tank, the lights are dimming out, and he is the only fish still out flitting around the tank. They had their evening feeding about an hour ago. The feeding really only targets him and the Copperband so it is fish eggs and Mysis. The cleaner no longer turns his nose up at anything and just plows thru the cloud of food. I definitely don't doubt other aquarists experience with this fish and as I recall 20 years or so ago, I think that I was one of those aquarists that had poor luck with one. They are from Hawaii, so collection techniques should be top notch.... so maybe they are bad shippers? The quicker you get them the better they do? (but that's the case with any fish I guess) I wish I had some insight here but all I have is my experience with this one. Does Lucky sleep in the sand or do they build a cocoon in a rock crevice? I never get to see where mine sleeps. Glad Lucky is doing well. Would love to be able to get my camera online so everyone could see.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope you get it to eat. I've been snorkeling in Hawaii and I think they are a beautiful fish but they are really hard to keep. Try feeding pods and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A round of applause to both @ReeferBlaine and @Shredded for your patience and sharing your experiences. Sounds like a cool fish to add to my livestock list. It appears they just need a little TLC to get them trained properly.
I appreciate you! I hoped this thread could possibly open up the chance to teach more hobbyists about this beautiful fish and what is needed to possibly keep them in our reef tanks!

The Office Reaction GIF

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean?
I mean did you read the entire thread where I state how my Hawaiian cleaner is eating like a champ and I’m having success with the fish?..

or did you just read the initial post and assume I have yet to get my fish to eat? Just curious.

that’s what I mean..

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean did you read the entire thread where I state how my Hawaiian cleaner is eating like a champ and I’m having success with the fish?..

or did you just read the initial post and assume I have yet to get my fish to eat? Just curious.

that’s what I mean..
I read the initial post. Good to hear your Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse is doing good!

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair of cleaners from the Philippines I got from my LFS. Large one first, then the smaller. Had them for about 2 1/2 years. Ate just about everything. Had a Hawaiian a few years before that for a year. That one just disappeared one day. That one also ate just about anything. Frequent, small feedings.

I believe a lot of it is how they are caught, handled and how long they go without food. Like most fish.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly approaching 8 months with Lucky in the tank!

Everything is going smashingly and honestly he/she has grown to be my absolute favorite fish in the tank. Im glad I am able to share these experiences with you all! Just recently went through a 24+ hour power outage and that was quite the scare... I live up in the PNW area and I was genuinely worried with how cold the water got (I have a back up generator but that somehow found a way to get flooded in 8" of water) so I was left with minimal options and had to go to some more primordial options to keep the tank warm....

Alas, Lucky survived and so did the majority of the rest of the tank!

Overall it has been a joy keeping this fish and I look forward to many happy years with it in my tank!

Back