Hawaiian vs Japanese Dragon Eel

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between Hawaiian Dragon Eels and Japanese Dragon Eels? I know that they are the same species and have different color morphs depending which region they come from, but I don't know which coloration one possess. I heard that the Japanese has more vibrant colors and vice versa.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Japanese has the orange coloration along its whole body while the orange on the Hawaiian stops just after the head.

Japanese, sorry about pic quality
003-1.jpg~original

Hawaiian, notice the body turns grey past the head

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Japanese has better color imo. No difference in behavior.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what's a good price for them nowadays? I'm tryna buy one that's around $700, $800 at the most. My Hawaiian was $900 when he was 31" as a local pickup. I'm looking for a relatively small one so I have time to upgrade from my 125. I'm on campus so my tank is at my uncles. My 240 gallon already has a tessalata.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$12oo seems to be the base price at online shops nowadays. Best bet to find one in that price range is to find a hobbyist looking to sell. Think I sold my Hawaiian for 500 a couple years back.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw in a large Mystery Wrasse with it for free too. I took a bit of a loss on the deal. We were moving and I didn't want to deal with moving a large moray and temporarily housing it while new tank was being built.

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better than giving away a Kiri Trigger for free :'( I had to move to college lol and no one would buy it. Tried to sell it for 450 which was a bargain.
WOAH. you gave away a kiri for free? how did i not know you then?? lol. i just bought one. why would no one want it?? did it have a good temperament?

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to college and I couldnt find a buyer. I even lowered it to 300 bucks lol and no fish stores were willing to take it due to how big it was (it was 14"). But I just gave it away since I had to leave. Biggest regret ever. It was in my acro tank. It destroyed inverts besides my conch, horseshoe crab, linkia and fromia stars, and my cleaner shrimps. Usually kiris are safe with inverts tho. Very docile with everything else however.

It wasn't a big deal tho since my dad caught it lol.

kodama16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threw in a large Mystery Wrasse with it for free too. I took a bit of a loss on the deal. We were moving and I didn't want to deal with moving a large moray and temporarily housing it while new tank was being built.
I remember that J. You have that away.

Japanese have best color.

kodama16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you ask you local shop to special order one left then know your price is $900 and they can easy do that and make a lot off it. Only way they won’t is if they just don’t want to. I can buy them whole sale for 500. Some suppliers are 750. So still room for you LFS to make money on a per sold item. No way they won’t.

kodama16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok sorry. Dragon eel at 500 is really good price, even for wholesale. I usually see them in the 800 range at wholesale.
Yea I see they been dropping a lot. Got mine from SDC for $500.

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get mine around that range too but right now I'm more interested in like high end triggers, wrasses, angels, and such. But after me getting that dragon eel, I'm back on that eel train. Named him Earl. I can no longer have a tank without an eel lol.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are those Dragon eels with other fish? Will they eventually eat everything else like a Fimbriated? Or are they more even-tempered? Have always really like them and someday will probably think about maybe planning to consider possibly getting one. :0)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 63.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back