2Q11210.jpg

2Q1111.jpg

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drool...you always have the nicest looking Hawaiians. What's your secret to keeping them looking so plump and healthy?

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drool...you always have the nicest looking Hawaiians. What's your secret to keeping them looking so plump and healthy?

Thank you. I wish i could tell ya... Lots of light, lots of fish poo, heavy feeding of the fish, water changes every 3rd week, and heavy skimming. I do not dose anything or feed my zoas other than what the tangs and clowns don't eat.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I wish i could tell ya... Lots of light, lots of fish poo, heavy feeding of the fish, water changes every 3rd week, and heavy skimming. I do not dose anything or feed my zoas other than what the tangs and clowns don't eat.

How much light are we talking about exactly? 400w metal halide? t5's?

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light are we talking about exactly? 400w metal halide? t5's?

Only a 250w MH on a light mover. (Neuco Aquastar 15K) MH fixture is about 12" from the surface and the frag rack lay 4" under the surface. Just about 300-350 PAR. I'll be switching all my lights to LEDs in about a month though.

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a 250w MH on a light mover. (Neuco Aquastar 15K) MH fixture is about 12" from the surface and the frag rack lay 4" under the surface. Just about 300-350 PAR. I'll be switching all my lights to LEDs in about a month though.

Keep us posted on how the zoas adapt to led lighting. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to praise your photography skills!

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted on how the zoas adapt to led lighting. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to praise your photography skills!

I'm having good luck with my display on LED only. I run 96 (48 white / 48 blue) 3w Cree bulbs over a 6' tank with a 18" depth. (Think: two 40g breeders side-by-side) It wasn't all happy times at first though... The great growth has come from lowering the whites to 35% and the blues at 55%. Getting 600 PAR at the sand bed was a bit of overkill. Though i needed the high number of LEDs to get the spread, so it was worth it. Aquarium Lighting | LED Aquarium Lighting Reef Aquarium Lighting Aquarium Lighting | LED Aquarium Lighting rocks!

Thanks for the skills comment, i have to upgrade. Still shooting with an old Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20.

Kevin

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow 600 par on the sandbed and the hawaiian zoas arent shrinking!?

Oh no... sorry for the confusion. At 600 PAr i killed almost every zoa in my tank. That was with both white and blue at 100%. Its much lower now. About 150-200 at the sand bed.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha - Your ding dangs look incredible as does the rest of your PE's!! Sidenote - Looking frward to seeing you guys in the second round!

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aloha - Your ding dangs look incredible as does the rest of your PE's!! Sidenote - Looking frward to seeing you guys in the second round!

Grrrr.....

Just playing. :) should be exciting for sure! Thanks for the kind words.

Kevin

Sent from my Droid.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrrr.....

Just playing. :) should be exciting for sure! Thanks for the kind words.

Kevin

Sent from my Droid.

Hehehe it should be a fun and exciting series!! Just dont think Paul is gonna give you guys that many points against us...Rondo is a whole other story...that guy is sick!

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious can zoas and palys be legally collected in HI? Or do they just kinda crawl out of the reefs over there and end up in your guys' tanks lol?

C

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I need to buy some hawaian ding dangs and hawaiian people eaters. I think those may be my favorite PEs so far. Awesome photos too.

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious can zoas and palys be legally collected in HI? Or do they just kinda crawl out of the reefs over there and end up in your guys' tanks lol?

C

They are legally collected if you have the right permits. Any stoney coral is 100% off limits though, LPS or SPS. Most of the reefbuilding corals are not really pretty though. Not compared to other warm climate reefs. Here is a quick video for you:

[video=youtube;6UYBghcdcQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UYBghcdcQg[/video]

Aloha

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I gotta get out there and go diving. It must take the will power of a saint not to leave the reef with pockets full of polyps.

OP
OP
Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I gotta get out there and go diving. It must take the will power of a saint not to leave the reef with pockets full of polyps.

Not really that hard when you love the reef as i do. Growing up in Boston makes living here a dream come true. The reefs beauty and peacefulness really make it a great place. I use the reefs as my therapy. Saves me money on a real shrink too. lol

Kevin

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really that hard when you love the reef as i do. Growing up in Boston makes living here a dream come true. The reefs beauty and peacefulness really make it a great place. I use the reefs as my therapy. Saves me money on a real shrink too. lol

Kevin

Only kidding about the polyps. It sounds like you really appreciate where you live and it speaks to your soul. I feel the same way about living in the Sonoran desert.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back