Hawkfish Help

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hawkfish that seems to turn almost 90 percent white but the color does come back but not fully as red as your typical hawkfish. Not sure why this is happening but if anyone could help I would be very greatful.

2BCC47AE-52B6-446E-85AB-73A24C5D1D13.jpeg 4A43901C-A197-49D1-8C4F-14A184EEA0ED.jpeg 2A0C85EA-AE26-4FC0-BC6B-5CAEF24FC92A.jpeg

OP
OP
J

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually waiting on my lights to get here for my tank so only half of it is lit with a deep water blue current light bar.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank and have you tested parameters, Does he do anything else when he loses color, like zips across the tank. Is his eyes clear and how is he eating.

OP
OP
J

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He only zips across the tank when he’s eating and he eats like a hog. Eyes look good no clear or glossy look. Parameters look good except my nitrate is between 40 and 50

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank, faded color can sometimes be indicative of internal parasites. So keep an eye out for stringy poo and watch that his appetite doesn't wain, or he gets overly voracious.

OP
OP
J

joejstutes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been in the tank in my house for 3 weeks but he was already in this tank when I purchased it from the last owner for at least 6 months but possibly longer. He is the sole survivor of the four fish that where in the tank from the last owner. So right now he is all alone in a 90 gallon tank with a fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp. Definitely watching him closely.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys I’m going to add some more light
How are your parameters? I have 2 flame hawks and one of them was not as red as the other. I found that high nitrates effected one but not the other. They are both ruby red now. The on flamehawk has now become the “canary in the mining cave” if you know what I mean. (Perhaps I’m dating myself!).

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 40/50 will not cause the white effect on the flamehawk.... While 40/50 might be considered a bit high for a reef, its fine for a FOWLR.

Last edited:

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coloration of reef fish has a lot to do with environmental factors. If there are no colorful corals or at least rocks with lots of coralline fish may fade in their colors to blend in.
And you also have the bachelor-effect (getting sloppy with looks) with single fish if there are no mates to impress. Hawkfish are some of the easier fish to pair as they change sex both ways. Males have more black than females and often also a more vibrant red.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea but I do see lighter colored ones at the LFS once every now and then. I avoid them. I got a pair from divers den. They have always been deep dark red. No faded colors ever.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Hawkfish but worried about them eating shrimp and snails. Don’t want to lose any Pistol Shrimp which would also cause lots of stress to Yellow Watchmen Gobies. Love Hawkfish but so worried about getting one.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a Hawkfish but worried about them eating shrimp and snails. Don’t want to lose any Pistol Shrimp which would also cause lots of stress to Yellow Watchmen Gobies. Love Hawkfish but so worried about getting one.
My pair never bothered my cleaner or skunk shrimps. Never bothered my trochus, turban, or bumble bee snails either. Pistol shrimp tend to be smaller so I'm not sure about them.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish don't eat snails.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about shrimp? Cleaner Shrimp and Tiger Pistol Shrimp.
Pistol shrimp are usually in their burrow and not easy prey. So I would think they are less likely to be eaten by hawkfish.
Cleaner shrimp are a different story. The hawkfish I had in the past ate at lest 2.

The only hawkfish, aside from the tiny ones, I would deem safe for fish and ornamental shrimp is the Longnose Hawkfish (Oxycirrhites typus).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back