Hawkfish?

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm pretty new to marine fishkeeping (like 2-3 months in). I currently have a 75g FOWLR with 2 little oscillaris clowns, a pajama cardinal, a banggai cardinal, a solar fairy wrasse, a springeri damsel, a blood shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, a small snail (not sure his type), and 5 zebra snails. I want to add a few more, and I'm considering a hawkfish, but I've read that they can be a bit aggressive and may eat little fish, snails, and shrimp. Should I stay away from the hawk, and if not, can y'all make some recommendations of peaceful ones that won't eat or bully my others? Thank you for any advice you can give me!

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wvery fish is different

I had a red hawkfish in my 120g, eventually pulled cause he was being a little bugger to my clown fish

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all fish, the personality is really individual fish specific... I love the personality of the Hawkfish, and had one for a year in a previous tank, but he suddenly developed a taste for shrimp, which got him rehomed...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They can be jerks and a past longnose kept annoying my Anthias.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame hawk has never bothered anyone, he is my favorite fish in my tank. Here is a picture of Trevor in one of his favorite spots.
89BD3FBE-E13F-4E96-B0B3-019117185CA1.jpeg

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hawkfish, they have great personalities, had one just like the pic above that went surfing once though and I wasn’t totally sad to see him go. He loved to munch on other critters such as my hermits, would rush up on them and pull them out of their shells and scarf them down. That’s a bummer. I had some sexy shrimp in another tank, couldn’t even imagine the field day he would have had in that tank.

F59322E7-E4FF-4936-9F2F-FBDBBD90814B.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My flame hawk has never bothered anyone, he is my favorite fish in my tank. Here is a picture of Trevor in one of his favorite spots.
89BD3FBE-E13F-4E96-B0B3-019117185CA1.jpeg
this red flame IMO is the best behaved of all the types of hawks

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk in my 125 that is a model citizen. Doesn't even bother the harlequin shrimp. I guess it's just luck of the draw as far as hawks are concerned. I have a long nose hawk in the 29 biocube on the other hand that will not allow any new additions to the tank. Maybe tank size has something to do with it.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail hawks are a good option if you can find one. Flames are good but they jump. I have a pixie now and like it but it eats pep shrimp and is a bully to some fish.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like their name implies..... "hawk" ..... the one I had I had to pull and sell bc it would hide perched on a rock and then SURPRISE divebomb other fish like a Kamikaze WWII pilot.

It kept the whole tank stressed.

But like everything else it depends on the personality of the individual fish.

Why Hawkfish? You can get similar looking fish in the Wrasse species

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering alternatives, one of the larger blennies like a bi-colored blenny are great. They perch like a hawk and have loads of personality.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like their name implies..... "hawk" ..... the one I had I had to pull and sell bc it would hide perched on a rock and then SURPRISE divebomb other fish like a Kamikaze WWII pilot.

Thank you for the advice. I have a solar fairy wrasse. A friend's suggested a sunburst anthias, too.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I'm sort of torn deciding if I want to order a flame hawk. First time I saw one in an LFS display I must have stood there for 20 minutes watching it. If anything though, I want to increase my shrimp variety and numbers and don't want them to just become dinner.

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love hawkfish, they have great personalities, had one just like the pic above that went surfing once though and I wasn’t totally sad to see him go. He loved to munch on other critters such as my hermits, would rush up on them and pull them out of their shells and scarf them down. That’s a bummer. I had some sexy shrimp in another tank, couldn’t even imagine the field day he would have had in that tank.

F59322E7-E4FF-4936-9F2F-FBDBBD90814B.jpeg
Beautiful fish!

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all fish, the personality is really individual fish specific... I love the personality of the Hawkfish, and had one for a year in a previous tank, but he suddenly developed a taste for shrimp, which got him rehomed...
Yep, that's over of the things I'm worried about... Shrimp, snails, hermits, and bullying my sweet fish!

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, I'm just wanting something with a lot of personality that will get along with all my "finny children" lol. I've read a lot about hawkish having a lot of personality, but I don't want anything aggressive until I get my semi-aggressive future tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always see these in tanks all the time and kind of wanted to get a flame hawk. They just seem to rest in place then swim from place to place gradually. I had no idea they could be jerks. Rethinking stocking one. They’re cool fish though.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MamaP

If you have a 4ft 75g FOWLR tank and you want a fish with a LOT of personality....

Meet the stars & stripes puffer
lg84309StarsandStripesPuffer.jpg

WATCH THIS VIDEO:

They're really like owning a DOG as they become attached to the Family and are extremely INTERACTIVE.

Coolest interactive fish out there.

Only issue is as it grows to full Adulthood it will outgrow the 75g and need smthg bigger.

You could buy a small juvenile one at the start and go from there.

I promise you your Kids will be rolling on the floor laughing playing with this fish.

Hth

OP
OP
MamaP

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MamaP

If you have a 4ft 75g FOWLR tank and you want a fish with a LOT of personality....

Meet the stars & stripes puffer
lg84309StarsandStripesPuffer.jpg

WATCH THIS VIDEO:

They're really like owning a DOG as they become attached to the Family and are extremely INTERACTIVE.

Coolest interactive fish out there.

Only issue is as it grows to full Adulthood it will outgrow the 75g and need smthg bigger.

You could buy a small juvenile one at the start and go from there.

I promise you your Kids will be rolling on the floor laughing playing with this fish.

Hth

He's cute! Love that personality! Will he get along with my other fish, shrimp, hermits, and snails I listed above?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back