hazards of reagent testing and disposal

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna MAGNESIUM checker label for the liquid reagent “A” contains a warning re: “damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure”.
I have tried to determine what this liquid is and how hazardous its use and disposal might be. Also concerned about accidental commingling of all the various test reagents and other additives like Ca, Alk, Mag.
We tend to keep all of our reef chemistry in a fairly tight space.
please advise.

image.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what they mean by prolonged exposure but I'm pretty sure as long as you don't drink it you'll be fine. Almost everything has dangers under certain conditions and warning labels are required by the people who know what we need to be protected from better than we know ourselves. Preparation H used to have a warning label not to be taken orally. Now it says for external use only or intrarectal. I mean really? I didn't buy it to treat a toothache.
A little common sense goes a long way when it comes to staying safe.

Disclaimer: I'm an old guy that ate dog food as kid and even tasted an earthworm once and ate dirt. I think it helped my immune system because I haven't been to a doctor in over 30 years. ;)

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully recognize the prevalence of “over-warning”, however, I would like to know if there are any real chemistry issues regarding cross contamination. Particularly with cuvettes, vials, containers, surfaces and even splashing and dribbling. those little sachets of powder and granules actually promote unwanted spillage. I’m also concerned about pets eating a spilled reagent drip or granule…

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Safety Data Sheet (SDS) will have the information you are looking for. Look it up here:

That’s a helpful start. I was hoping someone could share information about how these hobby chemicals interact with each other (if at all). For example, 2 part and mag and copper are simple compounds yet they appear to be highly reactive. My concerns include what happens when I pour these used reagents down the drain to go to my septic tank and back yard. Or more importantly what dangers exist if I spill Mag Reagent A all over a bag of sand or worse in my sump? or even worse, on my dog.
While SDS are going to supply factual info, they do not provide relative danger. I fully understand the warnings are required yet I want to know relative risk of casual inhalation and skin exposure from proper handling. I also understand the claim that “they can’t be that hazardous if they sell them.” As a skeptic I know that even the FDA allows “safe and effective” meds on the market only later to find they were dangerous to a variety of users.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a helpful start. I was hoping someone could share information about how these hobby chemicals interact with each other (if at all). For example, 2 part and mag and copper are simple compounds yet they appear to be highly reactive. My concerns include what happens when I pour these used reagents down the drain to go to my septic tank and back yard. Or more importantly what dangers exist if I spill Mag Reagent A all over a bag of sand or worse in my sump? or even worse, on my dog.
While SDS are going to supply factual info, they do not provide relative danger. I fully understand the warnings are required yet I want to know relative risk of casual inhalation and skin exposure from proper handling. I also understand the claim that “they can’t be that hazardous if they sell them.” As a skeptic I know that even the FDA allows “safe and effective” meds on the market only later to find they were dangerous to a variety of users.

Not sure what you mean by any compounds in a two part being highly reactive. Perhaps it is a misuse of the term. Highly reactive has a specific chemical meaning. If you just mean the precipitation of calcium carbonate by mixing them that does not fit that term.

I do not think there are any compounds in a magnesium test kit that would be considered highly reactive, and there's no increase in toxicity from mixing any compounds in alk, calcium, and magnesium kits.

The EDTA in calcium and magnesium kits (the only compound listed on the SDS of the mag kit) is not something to be worried about small accidental exposures (as opposed to eating large amounts or breathing significant amounts of dust). One can buy food grade EDTA.

That said, one should always be careful with reefing chemicals. I discuss the general issue here:

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by any compounds in a two part being highly reactive. Perhaps it is a misuse of the term. Highly reactive has a specific chemical meaning. If you just mean the precipitation of calcium carbonate by mixing them that does not fit that term.

I do not think there are any compounds in a magnesium test kit that would be considered highly reactive, and there's no increase in toxicity from mixing any compounds in alk, calcium, and magnesium kits.

The EDTA in calcium and magnesium kits (the only compound listed on the SDS of the mag kit) is not something to be worried about small accidental exposures (as opposed to eating large amounts or breathing significant amounts of dust). One can buy food grade EDTA.

That said, one should always be careful with reefing chemicals. I discuss the general issue here:

I confess! I’m not a chemist. You’ve exposed me. The purpose of the question was to seek the advice of a real chemist, not to be shamed for chemistry malpractice by misusing your protected phraseology.
The Magnesium Reagent A warning label led me to consider how any of these chemicals, compounds or GUNK (layman term) might inter-react if accidentally mixed, whether by normal use, cleaning, or spillage. I’ll read your article.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not meaning to shame you or anyone, but to help folks understand what both you and I intend by what we say.

If I simply answered your question, then someone using actual highly reactive chemicals might get misinformed and hurt themselves. I would strongly caution folks who were using highly reactive chemicals as they do carry big risks. The chemicals in a magnesium test kit carry different and lesser risks.

FishTrader

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those little sachets of powder and granules actually promote unwanted spillage. I’m also concerned about pets eating a spilled reagent drip or granule…
+10000 !!
I have Hannah Testers for PH & NO3 and they use these tiny packets that both are hard to empty without spilling AND I always find myself wondering if the residue that sticks to the side is enough to make a difference in the results.

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+10000 !!
I have Hannah Testers for PH & NO3 and they use these tiny packets that both are hard to empty without spilling AND I always find myself wondering if the residue that sticks to the side is enough to make a difference in the results.
Often, you must separate the 2 sides by touching the inner lining of the sachet. I likewise have wondered how much can be left behind in the creases of those tiny foil packets before the results are skewed.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts…

My Hanna MAGNESIUM checker label for the liquid reagent “A” contains a warning re: “damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure”.

You would need to read the MSDS to decipher this. The data for this statement might have come from toxicological studies of the pure reagent, not the solution in reagent A. While the statement is true, we are missing some context, for example, what type of exposure and how long. It is like a warning on a lawn mower if just says “use of this tool could lead to loss of toes”. True but the how it happens is important for prevention.

Basic chemical safety prevention includes not performing test anywhere near food consumption or children. Cleaning working surfaces after every test. Wearing gloves can be really good idea. If you want to be super careful, wear some sort of dust mask when handling dusty powders. Safety glasses are another very good safety precaution.

I have tried to determine what this liquid is and how hazardous its use and disposal might be. Also concerned about accidental commingling of all the various test reagents and other additives like Ca, Alk, Mag.
We tend to keep all of our reef chemistry in a fairly tight space.
please advise.
There is a pretty wide latitude in storing tightly closed containers of chemicals. Accidentally commingling is something you will have to follow up on. Make an interaction matrix, reagent names on a grid across the top and down the left side. Get help here to fill in the intersection points, i.e. what happens when A and B mix.

Responsible disposal will take some thought.

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts…

You would need to read the MSDS to decipher this. The data for this statement might have come from toxicological studies of the pure reagent, not the solution in reagent A. While the statement is true, we are missing some context, for example, what type of exposure and how long. It is like a warning on a lawn mower if just says “use of this tool could lead to loss of toes”. True but the how it happens is important for prevention.

Basic chemical safety prevention includes not performing test anywhere near food consumption or children. Cleaning working surfaces after every test. Wearing gloves can be really good idea. If you want to be super careful, wear some sort of dust mask when handling dusty powders. Safety glasses are another very good safety precaution.

There is a pretty wide latitude in storing tightly closed containers of chemicals. Accidentally commingling is something you will have to follow up on. Make an interaction matrix, reagent names on a grid across the top and down the left side. Get help here to fill in the intersection points, i.e. what happens when A and B mix.

Responsible disposal will take some thought.
Thanks, after reading the sds, I see that EDTA was the salt which caused the warning. I am now, not worried. And yes to gloves and eye protection as everything should be kept out of eyes (ha). I still have not heard what happens when all the used samples go into my septic tank. prolly nothing?!

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as A biologist and chemist I’ve been in many labs , nothing in any aquarium test kit I have seen would be off limits to put down the drains.

now now of the chemicals different story. I am careful on disposal of lanthium chloride , hypo and caustics I also run DE filters and and careful not to get it in my lungs.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, after reading the sds, I see that EDTA was the salt which caused the warning. I am now, not worried. And yes to gloves and eye protection as everything should be kept out of eyes (ha). I still have not heard what happens when all the used samples go into my septic tank. prolly nothing?!
Some thoughts on disposing chemicals in the septic tank…

I think the quantities of test chemicals tossed down the drain are too small to harm the bacteria in the seotic system. One harm is a big pH swing. Not going to happen. I am also thinking about reagents being very potent bactericides (a tiny amount sterilizes your septic system) and I think there aren’t any in our test kits. I am stating my case in a rather black-and-white fashion to stimulate discussion. Maybe I am missing something.

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as A biologist and chemist I’ve been in many labs , nothing in any aquarium test kit I have seen would be off limits to put down the drains.

now now of the chemicals different story. I am careful on disposal of lanthium chloride , hypo and caustics I also run DE filters and and careful not to get it in my lungs.
thanks

OP
OP
duishark

duishark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts on disposing chemicals in the septic tank…

I think the quantities of test chemicals tossed down the drain are too small to harm the bacteria in the seotic system. One harm is a big pH swing. Not going to happen. I am also thinking about reagents being very potent bactericides (a tiny amount sterilizes your septic system) and I think there aren’t any in our test kits. I am stating my case in a rather black-and-white fashion to stimulate discussion. Maybe I am missing something

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back