Hazy Water

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 days ago I needed to move two cup fulls off sand to cover my mangrove roots. I was careful and turned off my pumps. It still kicked up dirt. But 4 days later, I still have a cloudy haze. I’ve changed my filter floss daily but it won’t clear up perfectly. I’m watching, I don’t think the flow pump is kicking up sand from that new pile. Not sure how to clear the haze at this point.

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 days ago I needed to move two cup fulls off sand to cover my mangrove roots. I was careful and turned off my pumps. It still kicked up dirt. But 4 days later, I still have a cloudy haze. I’ve changed my filter floss daily but it won’t clear up perfectly. I’m watching, I don’t think the flow pump is kicking up sand from that new pile. Not sure how to clear the haze at this point.
Just out of curiosity do you run carbon? You could try that for a week.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had haziness in my water for several days after carefully putting sand in. It will settle in time if it’s sand causing the cloudiness. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with a better answer.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did end up throwing a tablespoon of rox carbon in panty hose into my back chamber. Nothing cleared up yet. But, could it be my new copepod population that has started this effect? Here is video. The last half you can see the sand storm look, but it isn’t sand blowing around.

Attachments

• 5E5C29D4-9C2A-4351-AE48-A132A7A85874.mov
    6.3 MB

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did end up throwing a tablespoon of rox carbon in panty hose into my back chamber. Nothing cleared up yet. But, could it be my new copepod population that has started this effect? Here is video. The last half you can see the sand storm look, but it isn’t sand blowing around.
What do you have running in your tank? How old? I never experienced hazy or cloudy water. However in my nano I have refugium, skimmer, and UV sanitizer. Plus I run carbon 2nd chamber.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have running in your tank? How old? I never experienced hazy or cloudy water. However in my nano I have refugium, skimmer, and UV sanitizer. Plus I run carbon 2nd chamber.
Two months old. I have an mp10 on the lowest setting. And a minijet 606. I have 2” sand. And have been seeding copepods.
I have red ogo and a mangrove.
I have filter floss, purigen and marine pure gems.
I moved a little sand and I noticed the cloud recently after. Although I seeded copepods too.

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months old. I have an mp10 on the lowest setting. And a minijet 606. I have 2” sand. And have been seeding copepods.
I have red ogo and a mangrove.
I have filter floss, purigen and marine pure gems.
I moved a little sand and I noticed the cloud recently after. Although I seeded copepods too.
When you seeded the copes did you put the sponge in the back of the tank or just add the water? Also you might just have an algae bloom growing as well the tank is still fairly new. The UV sanitizer cleans all free floating algae from the water. Moving the sand could have disturbed debris but I would think it should have settled by now. You could try to add a water clarifier that also works when I clean my tank. You could also polish your water with the maxi pump. That is how I clean the small debris from my water!

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your ammonia and nitrites? It is possible that between stirring up a undisturbed sand bed and adding pods that may have been in some nutrient rich water that you triggered a bit of a bacterial bloom.

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you polish your water?
I use my maxi pump and cut a water bottle in half and attach it to the intake valve and use filter floss in the water bottle. It literally will take all the water in your tank and filter it through the floss about 3 or 4 times in 1 hour....depending upon the size of your tank! It works really well for me. I often polish my water while doing water changes to avoid the cloudy water while I blow my rock/sand clean. You tube has a video of how to polish your reef tank. The pump stays in the display tank...not the back.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my maxi pump and cut a water bottle in half and attach it to the intake valve and use filter floss in the water bottle. It literally will take all the water in your tank and filter it through the floss about 3 or 4 times in 1 hour....depending upon the size of your tank! It works really well for me. I often polish my water while doing water changes to avoid the cloudy water while I blow my rock/sand clean. You tube has a video of how to polish your reef tank. The pump stays in the display tank...not the back.
Got it. My pump is easily the hardest thing to get to in the tank. If there was a mini reactor and I could plumb a non submersible pump, that would be great. But I don’t think anything like it exists.

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. My pump is easily the hardest thing to get to in the tank. If there was a mini reactor and I could plumb a non submersible pump, that would be great. But I don’t think anything like it exists.
I bought a seperate pump...it was like 25$ it comes with suction cups. I suction cup it to the inside of my tank when I need to clean my water. I always use it with water changes and tank maintenance because it takes all the extra "nutrients" out of the water I blow off the rock/sand. It helps my numbers have been consistent in the 5 months I have had my tank. It really is the best way to get the small particles out of the tank. Definitely check your numbers because it could be a bloom of some sort too.

OP
OP
jgaepi

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a seperate pump...it was like 25$ it comes with suction cups. I suction cup it to the inside of my tank when I need to clean my water. I always use it with water changes and tank maintenance because it takes all the extra "nutrients" out of the water I blow off the rock/sand. It helps my numbers have been consistent in the 5 months I have had my tank. It really is the best way to get the small particles out of the tank. Definitely check your numbers because it could be a bloom of some sort too.
I just did after your last post. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. Between 2-5 nitrate.
I bought a DOS for AWC. I haven’t hooked it up yet.

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did after your last post. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. Between 2-5 nitrate.
I bought a DOS for AWC. I haven’t hooked it up yet.
I am the ATO and the AWC lol. My water remains pretty clear at all times.
20190906_162234.jpg

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, way clearer than mine. But I only have 7g. Water changes make too much mess in a 7g. Hoping the DOS at least simplifies one thing.
With 7g I would definitely say it's probably maybe a bloom of some sort. I would try to install your AWC and see if exchanging out some water helps. I bet it's because you added the copes and it was what was in the water.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back