OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours lit up! I'm all cycled now but don't plan on doing anything else until after Labor day as well. Now I have to figure these lights out and set up some kind of schedule and make plenty of water for our fish sitters.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights did you get? I am going to try 2 Hydra Twenty Six's. Ordering one now and then asking for one from the wife for xmas.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real updates on my tank but wanted to share my experience with my last purchase for the wife's tank. She thought it was fun and games watching her clown fish attack me when I was "helping" her clean her glass. Fun ended when she decided to show me how to do it without getting attacked. Yep, she stuck hand in and with total amazement they didn't touch her!

At first....once her hand made it in about 6 inches it looked the the looney tunes tazmanin devils cut loose and all you could see was orange, black and white tornadoes trying to make nubs out of her fingers! If I would have started the jaws music and done a video I'm sure it would have been Grammy material! With that experiance behind her we now own a pair of coralife aquagloves. I'm impressed, they are super nice gloves! I have long arms and they come almost to my arm pits, she has short arms and can probably use them as waders when not cleaning her tank. I would definitely buy again.

Next is the flipper magnetic cleaner, we tried 3 other brands, 1 of which we opened and seen how cheap it was and sent it back. The Flipper is the BOMB! Totally impressed and will be buying one for my big tank!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my hydras programmed. When you get them there are some pre-programmed setting online. Instructions were not real clear in my opinion and the do not come with programs installed. Programmed the lights with a bogus schedule just to test them and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't work. Discovered in the settings is your set up the time and date. Do that step first or your schedule will never work. Just a fyi tip for you.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I really like them, nice an bright but I haven't had a chance to mess with them much. After I got them programmed the wife and I hooked up the 5th wheel and shot up to South Dakota for a week. When we get back Sunday I will be able to give you a better opinion!

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got back from the Ozarks, the entire time I could only pray my 3 new friends were still alive and swimming. Water was pretty cloudy as the auto feeder was over feeding, but everyone was doing good. Ordered 1 HD 26 this morning. No I gotta start saving my pennies for the 2nd one haha.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mornings test results. So far I done 1 large shrimp, followed with Dr. Tim's a week later, followed with 1 more large shrimp a week after that. It's been cycling for about 6 weeks now. I still have enough Dr. Tim's to do another round. What do you think, should I repeat what I have done or call it good and add a couple of fish. Hummm, want it slow and steady but...

I'm showing slight sprinkles of diatoms here and there.

IMG_20180915_071518.jpg

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my friends, this one has me stumped. In my wife's tank I keep getting these little orange spots down low in the tank. I have no clue what it is. I have noticed the Coraline started taking off and doing great on the back of her tank..Finally! Is the orange stuff some some kind of Coraline or something else that I should worry about. Yes I know the glass down low needs cleaned...working on that.

IMG_20180917_163021.jpg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my friends, this one has me stumped. In my wife's tank I keep getting these little orange spots down low in the tank. I have no clue what it is. I have noticed the Coraline started taking off and doing great on the back of her tank..Finally! Is the orange stuff some some kind of Coraline or something else that I should worry about. Yes I know the glass down low needs cleaned...working on that.

IMG_20180917_163021.jpg

I have had orange coralline and it was pretty flaky. It did not grow all over like that though in my case. Came in on Fiji rock and grew pretty slowly.

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had orange coralline and it was pretty flaky. It did not grow all over like that though in my case. Came in on Fiji rock and grew pretty slowly.
It's all over and flaky. I was guessing Coraline. I think things in her tank is finally leveling out. Set it up in December and lost frogspawns, hammers and shooms. Had the green hair and red slime battles. Now the rocks are getting great color and everything else is thriving. Oh the lessons we learn! Thanks for looking and answering! As always I appreciate your feedback!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank cycled and to the point I can start adding so CUC, is it to early to add some cheato and pods or should I let it mature a little longer? I would like to get a well established population going before I start adding fish. This is my fist tank with a sump so my plan is 50% of the pods in the sump and 50% in the DT. What are your thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back