Heal Small Blue tang with big wound on the head

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Last week, I picked up from my LFS this very small blue tang. (I call her Dori. I know very original) She was constantly scratching on surfaces and I definitely knew she had flukes or something, and she had injured herself on the face.
Since everything that goes in the DT, it always goes through QT, I really wanted to save her as in my country, most fish stores don't really care and they just put small doses of copper to keep symptoms at bay and I knew I could heal her.
So I put her in my QT, and the next day I immediately proceeded with a FW dip which big surprise, a giant fluke came off her.
With that said, I dosed GDEX (which is the same as Prazi in Europe) and tomorrow is the last day of Prazi by which I will do a water change and start dosing cuppramine.
I also did a FW dip yesterday to buy myself some more time because I didn't like her swimming pattern and behaviour.

I have to say that I am really happy because she is doing great! She has completely stopped scratching on surfaces, is eating although she is extremely shy and only does so when I am away, and she has more vivid colours in comparison to how she looked when I got her.
Now my question is, is there anything else that I can do for her face? I can see some stringy things attached to the wound and I am thinking they might be dead flukes so should I gently grab her and gently rub them away, or just wait and it will heal on its own?
Also does anyone know why she is half blue half purple ?
Thank you so much in advance!
Dori.jpg

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01511-2.jpg

DSC01509-2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all,
Last week, I picked up from my LFS this very small blue tang. (I call her Dori. I know very original) She was constantly scratching on surfaces and I definitely knew she had flukes or something, and she had injured herself on the face.
Since everything that goes in the DT, it always goes through QT, I really wanted to save her as in my country, most fish stores don't really care and they just put small doses of copper to keep symptoms at bay and I knew I could heal her.
So I put her in my QT, and the next day I immediately proceeded with a FW dip which big surprise, a giant fluke came off her.
With that said, I dosed GDEX (which is the same as Prazi in Europe) and tomorrow is the last day of Prazi by which I will do a water change and start dosing cuppramine.
I also did a FW dip yesterday to buy myself some more time because I didn't like her swimming pattern and behaviour.

I have to say that I am really happy because she is doing great! She has completely stopped scratching on surfaces, is eating although she is extremely shy and only does so when I am away, and she has more vivid colours in comparison to how she looked when I got her.
Now my question is, is there anything else that I can do for her face? I can see some stringy things attached to the wound and I am thinking they might be dead flukes so should I gently grab her and gently rub them away, or just wait and it will heal on its own?
Also does anyone know why she is half blue half purple ?
Thank you so much in advance!
Dori.jpg

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01511-2.jpg

DSC01509-2.jpg
Oh my goodness. Looks like an injury or infection that has become bacterial. Treatment will be in a seperate tank with seachem Neoplex
Include oxygen with air stone during treatment. Is fish eating ?
What test kits are you using ? Looking for ammonia-nitrate-ph readings

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness. Looks like an injury or infection that has become bacterial. Treatment will be in a seperate tank with seachem Neoplex
Include oxygen with air stone during treatment. Is fish eating ?
What test kits are you using ? Looking for ammonia-nitrate-ph readings
I already have a air stone running all day and I didn't know about Seachem Neoplex. I will get a bottle first thing tomorrow morning.
Also yes she is eating and ammonia is 0 as well as with nitrate and ph is 8.15-8.3

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I already have a air stone running all day and I didn't know about Seachem Neoplex. I will get a bottle first thing tomorrow morning.
Also yes she is eating and ammonia is 0 as well as with nitrate and ph is 8.15-8.3
What test kits are you using ?

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a bi-color angelfish in the QT with her, (I got them together) should I remove him once I start dosing neoplex tomorrow ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a bi-color angelfish in the QT with her, (I got them together) should I remove him once I start dosing neoplex tomorrow ?

You could leave the fish or remove it, won't matter much.

Neoplex is a good choice, but I did want to add that this is a very severe wound/infection and is very close to the brain. The outcome is not good if the bacteria get to the brain.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Jay for your answer and I will immediately start first thing in the morning. I hope she will be okay and at least she had more chances with me than with the LSF. I will keep you updated.
Also how should I know when to stop dosing Neoplex ? I read that it can be dosed for up to 3 weeks.

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Jay for your answer and I will immediately start first thing in the morning. I hope she will be okay and at least she had more chances with me than with the LSF. I will keep you updated.
Also how should I know when to stop dosing Neoplex ? I read that it can be dosed for up to 3 weeks.

Any update?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back