OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still get all of these corals. You are just likely going to have to order them or make a special request since collectors, wholesalers and mari folks are cranking out rainbow tenuis now. Blue/white tenuis is still available on every wild collection sheet that I have seen. It isn't like the ocean doesn't have them anymore. Just remember that some of the reason why these have died out in captivity as care changed with lower/shorted spectrum, higher residual no3 and po4 to keep dinos/cyano at bay and smaller, less stable tanks are common. Captivity has selected some of these for limited hobbyists. It is not like they are not still beautiful or anything.

If you want them in captivity and not wild, you will have to seek beyond the internet. I have recently found some of the first generation of Tyree LEs (like back when he was not a joke) and it was a guy who has long lost the taste for participation in online stuff but had a wonderful tank. I met him through a friend. There is even some OG Leng Sy floating around Denver, but you usually have to go offline to find it too. Found some 20k and 30k too with real lineage. I even got some OG Purple People Eaters for a small softie tank that I started recently - I remember shipping these in thermos during the warmer months.

I still have not found any Soda Popinski for Tim, but I hope that he found some.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do my best to hunt down a lot of old pieces/varieties too that I knew and loved. Just found one this week!
What did you get?

I’ve been looking for Acropora abrolhosensis for months now. The blue tipped variety with the cream/tan branches.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still get all of these corals. You are just likely going to have to order them or make a special request since collectors, wholesalers and mari folks are cranking out rainbow tenuis now. Blue/white tenuis is still available on every wild collection sheet that I have seen. It isn't like the ocean doesn't have them anymore. Just remember that some of the reason why these have died out in captivity as care changed with lower/shorted spectrum, higher residual no3 and po4 to keep dinos/cyano at bay and smaller, less stable tanks are common. Captivity has selected some of these for limited hobbyists. It is not like they are not still beautiful or anything.

If you want them in captivity and not wild, you will have to seek beyond the internet. I have recently found some of the first generation of Tyree LEs (like back when he was not a joke) and it was a guy who has long lost the taste for participation in online stuff but had a wonderful tank. I met him through a friend. There is even some OG Leng Sy floating around Denver, but you usually have to go offline to find it too. Found some 20k and 30k too with real lineage. I even got some OG Purple People Eaters for a small softie tank that I started recently - I remember shipping these in thermos during the warmer months.

I still have not found any Soda Popinski for Tim, but I hope that he found some.
From where? Livestock USA?

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the European websites still have amazing selections.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What did you get?

I’ve been looking for Acropora abrolhosensis for months now. The blue tipped variety with the cream/tan branches.

It used to be called AV99 Voodoo, was a nice slow tight growing acro with deep indigo tips and fluorescent yellow in every corallite. They came in once in a while maybe 15 years ago. Haven't seen it available in a long time:

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 10.13.42 AM.png

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From where? Livestock USA?

I used to order from him sometimes, no issues and I wouldn’t expect any to have come up in the meantime. I would suggest anyone with the correct system for imports to give him a shot if you don’t have your own permits.

I wanna see some updated hoto pics!

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It used to be called AV99 Voodoo, was a nice slow tight growing acro with deep indigo tips and fluorescent yellow in every corallite. They came in once in a while maybe 15 years ago. Haven't seen it available in a long time:

Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 10.13.42 AM.png

I remember this coming in figi boxes (or could have been Bali or both) a while back. The pink in the tank raised section on the left is sweet looking. Just shows how lots of these wild corals turn out even better once growing well in a tank.

What did you get?

Do you have a pic of this variant your looking for? I know of the green with orange/pink axials. All the deeper green with blue tipped images I see online look like a much different growing variant than the orange tip which gets thick very long growing branches. Very curious if the one your talking about has these large long branches as well.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember this coming in figi boxes (or could have been Bali or both) a while back. The pink in the tank raised section on the left is sweet looking. Just shows how lots of these wild corals turn out even better once growing well in a tank.

Do you have a pic of this variant your looking for? I know of the green with orange/pink axials. All the deeper green with blue tipped images I see online look like a much different growing variant than the orange tip which gets thick very long growing branches. Very curious if the one your talking about has these large long branches as well.
I actually picked up a frag of the green/pink tip variety, but yes my holy grail would still be the blue tip or something close.
71EE03ED-6AEB-45AC-A0C0-396F1AA611DE.png
4FBC01E8-124B-47FA-B760-427922A3FF29.png
6FE504B5-450C-42FA-B9DD-8BCA33E6A784.png
85FBC8E7-C774-46F4-B849-19346A19CDCD.png

Attachments

• 45455C83-A66B-41B7-B605-B92254CB830C.png
    45455C83-A66B-41B7-B605-B92254CB830C.png
    763.8 KB · Views: 49

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that article now. Yea if you can find some of that variant please let me know so I can grab a frag when I get going again. A second best to that coral would be the same color pattern on the acropora aspera. I love that coral almost as much.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day left for the auction. For all of the people who write me for a frag when I do not have one, this is your chance.

Kayvon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much light is everyone putting this under? Does it seem finnicky or about as durable as an acropora can be?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much light is everyone putting this under? Does it seem finnicky or about as durable as an acropora can be?
Mine is around 250-300 and grows as hardy as other acropora I have like Fox Flame, Oregon Tort, Maleficent, Froot Loops, etc. It is a slow grower though

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w HQI about 8 inches under the water from a fixture about 4-5 inches off of the tank. I have not measured in a while, but probably 600-750 PAR of MH for me... which is more in the 800-850 LED PAR range. They can handle some light, but they don't likely need it. It grows faster with more light for me - the frags on the lower part of the tank do not grow as fast.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300-600 under LEDs. For me it seems to grow a bit faster at the lower end. Although, could be flow related, etc. As IKD stated, seems pretty hardy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back