Heater broke - help

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (had) two finnex 500 watt titanium heaters plugged into a InkBird controller. It was plugged into an EB8 Apex power bar.

I’ve been having issues with the EB8 tripping the GFCI and I noticed it was tripped about a half hour ago. I reset the GFCI and plugged the InkBird directly into the outlet. About a minute later I hear a weird noise coming from the return chamber (where the heaters are) and I could visibly see them expanding and breaking apart.

First question is what to do from here, I don’t have backup heaters, I hope nothing horrible will happen if my tank falls to 70° or so. Second question is how to know if it was the InkBird or the heaters that failed. The return pump is working, the water wasn’t stagnant (the temp probes are in a different chamber). This has been working great since I set it up this way in November.

My tank is fallow but I’d rather not lose the inverts and corals. Thanks for any suggestions.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inkbird should not cause a heater to fail. Even if the inkbird failed the heaters internal thermostat should turn them off if working correctly(i jave no experience with finnex but assume it has its own thermostat)

I would assume the GFCi repeatedly tripping was the clue there was a problem. Nuisance tripping does happen, but in my experience when my gfci trips the most likely culprit is the heater.

For the heater to expand and break apart as you watch it seems it would have to be extremely hot. I know you said you have good flow, but if they got that hot and yet your tank temp never went up i would wonder if you really have enough flow around them. If you didnt and with the the inkbird probes in a different area it wont help save your heaters from getting too hot.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inkbird should not cause a heater to fail. Even if the inkbird failed the heaters internal thermostat should turn them off if working correctly(i jave no experience with finnex but assume it has its own thermostat)

I would assume the GFCi repeatedly tripping was the clue there was a problem. Nuisance tripping does happen, but in my experience when my gfci trips the most likely culprit is the heater.

For the heater to expand and break apart as you watch it seems it would have to be extremely hot. I know you said you have good flow, but if they got that hot and yet your tank temp never went up i would wonder if you really have enough flow around them. If you didnt and with the the inkbird probes in a different area it wont help save your heaters from getting too hot.
These particular heaters don’t have their own thermostat, they have to be plugged into a controller. The EB8 had some moisture on it a few days ago, causing it to trip. I dried it out for several days before plugging it back in over the weekend. My ATK has been running a lot since 6:00 this evening (maxing out at the 5 minute mark twice in a row). I wonder if the heaters were failing then and that’s why the GFCI kicked? I don’t see a large amount of water anywhere near the sump, I don’t think there’s a leak that would be undetected with two 10 minute runs of the PMUP.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gotcha on the thermostat bad assumption on my part. Now i am no help lol could be bad inkbird or just not enough circulation.

I would be willing to bet the gfci tripping was the heaters though.

Also as far as worrying about temp dropping if you have a way to cover large portions of the tank or sump for the night it will reduce evaporative cooling and keep it a bit warmer.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two other 500 watt heaters that I plugged in. They do have built in thermostats but I still plugged them into the InkBird. They aren’t rated for my size tank but hopefully with it being warmer they’ll do the job temporarily. They are rated for 50 gallons each and my tank is about 120 gallons total.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two other 500 watt heaters that I plugged in. They do have built in thermostats but I still plugged them into the InkBird. They aren’t rated for my size tank but hopefully with it being warmer they’ll do the job temporarily. They are rated for 50 gallons each and my tank is about 120 gallons total.
You should always have spare return pump and spare heaters when In This hobby. I also have multiple heaters in my system connected to there own energy bar to there own outlet this way one could pop and still have other working

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mistaken, my spare heaters are 200w each (400 total). It’s warming up the tank so hopefully they will still work. I’ll purchase the correct heaters tomorrow when the stores are open.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mistaken, my spare heaters are 200w each (400 total). It’s warming up the tank so hopefully they will still work. I’ll purchase the correct heaters tomorrow when the stores are open.
At this point anything is better then nothing

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for what it’s worth I use the same finnex titanium 500watt heaters with no inkbird connected directly to my eb8s for 10 years now. Never had issue with eb8 but have gone thru few heaters over that time.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for what it’s worth I use the same finnex titanium 500watt heaters with no inkbird connected directly to my eb8s for 10 years now. Never had issue with eb8 but have gone thru few heaters over that time.
My hope was the InkBird would give me some redundancy. I’m not sure what happened. The heaters are only 5 months old. I’ll see what Finnex says tomorrow (today really).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hope was the InkBird would give me some redundancy. I’m not sure what happened. The heaters are only 5 months old. I’ll see what Finnex says tomorrow (today really).
I have 6 heaters in my 250 gallon system on 4 eb8s. 4 of the heaters run most the time and do the work 1 on each eb8. On at 77.9 off at 78 f. Then I have the other 2 on different eb8s turn on at 77 and off at 78. This is for if heater fail and system drops 1 degree lower then normal then back up heaters come on. Also email alarm will tell me tanks at 77 letting me know heater problem. Talk about redundancy :)

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two finnex 500w heating elements and they sat for like 2 yrs. Well when i went to add the heater to my tank i found both elements dead and not working. My finnex 800 dial controllers still work though and prob will till i die. Lol.
D

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with the BRS branded heaters tied directly to my apex. Use one 250 as a primary and the other as a backup... I don’t really understand the inkbird thing for people who have apex’s already

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with the BRS branded heaters tied directly to my apex. Use one 250 as a primary and the other as a backup... I don’t really understand the inkbird thing for people who have apex’s already
They do it cause they feel the on off on off will burn out the relay in outlet

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back