Heater in sump

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my heater in the sump and my thermometer is in the display tank, the digital read out says it’s 78 but it always feels cool to me and I can’t help but wonder if the heater being in the sump can heat my entire tank and if it’s reliable?
I have a 90 gallon tank, sump is 30 gallons.
Any suggestions on how to be sure my temperature is accurate and the water is the same temp throughout the tank?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wattage heater are you using? It might be a degree different between the sump and tank depending on how far away they are but that shouldn't affect anything. If the sump sits under the tank, then I am sure they are the same temperature. Only way to verify what that temp is, is to double check with another device. I use a digital probe to double check temps in my tanks.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fine. My heater is in my sump and my sensor is upstream from the heaters in my sump so I get a reading as the water enters the sump

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a thermometer, or the hanna salinity checker also has the temp reader if you have that.
Or you can get a small in-tank thermometer that you can stick on the inside glass somewhere.
Or you can get 2 different temp probes and put one in the sump and one in the DT.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check with a different thermometer. I use a digital surface thermometer, like one you would use on a persons head for taking temps.

But there will probably be some loss of heat from the sump to the display. I have my heater set at 78, and the display is 77.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already pointed out, put sensor just up stream of heater..

I have inkbird with two sensors: one up stream just before heaters and one in overflow box

And a ranco controller as a bottom line heater with sensor just before heater chamber. It never activates until the inkbird fails..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 5 sensors: two from the Inkbird in the sump after the heaters, two Apex in the post-filter chamber in the sump and after the returns in the tank and a manual digital thermometer stuck in the corner of the sump.

ak10up

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get a heater for the size of your sump or for the size of your DT?
I have a 120 gallon I am setting up and first time using a sump.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get two undersized (for the entire system water volume: display plus sump minus rocks/sand/etc). Put them in the sump. Having two underpowered will decrease the risk of one malfunctioning and cooking your tank.

To the OP: the tank water always feels cold to me. But that’s because I’m not a fish. The fish think it’s perfect.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get two under powered heaters i know allot of people do, i started out with one 300w and did fine i added a second one later on, still have both running its been probably 3yrs ... I have two 300w brs titanium heaters that run all the time and one 600w as a back up that never runs. This is on a 120g w/36" sump (idk actual gallons) .

Now I have two rancos for this tank but the one main one is controlled by a hydros controller, and I still have the backup ranco with one 600w brs titanium heater that never gets used unless others fail and temp drops
( they are one degree apart)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-150143.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-150143.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 22

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back