Heater issue

quickreefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2013
Messages
422
Reaction score
65
Location
Macomb twp. Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using a heater to heat up my mixing water and came down and noticed the light wasn’t on so I pulled it out to notice it had water on the inside …. Weird tho because there is no crack and the water doesn’t come out when tipped shook anything ? Is the mixing water ruined ?
 
I was using a heater to heat up my mixing water and came down and noticed the light wasn’t on so I pulled it out to notice it had water on the inside …. Weird tho because there is no crack and the water doesn’t come out when tipped shook anything ? Is the mixing water ruined ?
It probably seeped in through a seal, air would’ve been what escaped. Given it’s not entirely full water mix is probably fine. Throw the heater out
 
if it were five gallons I would just dump but it’s 50 gallons of mixed salt water
Prolly a bad seal. U should be fine to just get a new heater and not throw out the water.
 
This is why the head of the heater should never be submerged. Thermal expansion and contraction will eventually cause them to leak.

If you are concerned - toss some carbon and and a cuprisorb pad in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new