Heater Opinions, 45 Gallon

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are two Cobalt Neotherm 75W heaters enough for a JBJ 45 gallon rimless? Actual water volume will be 38-40 gallons. Ambient may get as low as 16*F less than the aquarium, but normally hover around 10*F lower. I will operate with one InkBird controller on both heaters.

BACKGROUND:
These heaters were purchased for a JBJ 30 gallon aquarium (26 gallon approximate volume). Long story short, after a warranty claim, JBJ could not replace my damaged 30 at this time and offered me a 45 gallon rimless and stand as a replacement. If I were starting new I would probably buy two 150W Cobalt Neotherms so that one heater could suffice if needed. That is probably the route I will go, but thought I would get some opinions before proceeding. I feel like 150W total would be enough, but I lose a little peace of mind. Thoughts? Thanks!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neo 150 keeps my RSM C130 nice and warm roughly 48 Galllons with lower sump and fuge, I think 2 75s could do the same for you no problem. I do have a backup 75 but I've never tried just heating the tank with it. I keep the ambient temp roughly 8-10 degrees cooler than my tank.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I have been scouring build threads of similar volume and have been surprised by how low a wattage some run. Even as low as 50-75W on a 40 gallon tank. Perhaps they are in warm, consistent climates (I am in NY). Having had heater failures in the past I want to run two. Just concerned that I would be running the barest minimum with 2x 75W. Thanks for your input.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I have been scouring build threads of similar volume and have been surprised by how low a wattage some run. Even as low as 50-75W on a 40 gallon tank. Perhaps they are in warm, consistent climates (I am in NY). Having had heater failures in the past I want to run two. Just concerned that I would be running the barest minimum with 2x 75W. Thanks for your input.

No problem, now I'm definitely not trying to turn you away from grabbing a 150 at some point as long term that might be the better option. But I think 2 75s will work just fine. I love my neotherms, granted I've only had them for a year and a half but they have been solid. Especially the 150 I use to heat my fresh SW for WCs, that heater takes a serious beating.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to put some closure on this thread, I am going to go with two 150W Cobalt Neotherm heaters. I could probably get away with two 100W but they are roughly the same price on a couple of sites I have seen.

In setting up this aquarium everything is being done with a large margin for safety and error, running two 75W heaters would probably work, but the normal mode of operation would drive them at their limit. That just seems to beg for failure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back