Heater or temp controller at higher setting?

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heater attached to an Ink Bird controller. Do you recommend setting the heater itself at 78 and the Ink Bird at 80 so the temp is maintained by the internal heater mechanism with the Ink Bird as backup or vice versa (Ink Bird at 78, heater at 80 to save heater cycles)? Thanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the heater you're using has an internal temperature controller, you need to have different parameters on the Inkbird because it will go into an alarm if it's on too long, etc. There are a few threads that go into this in greater detail - so if you do a few quick searches you'll find a few examples of how others have configured their Inkbird.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is have heater at the higher setting. Inkbird controls the on/off. Internal heater controller is the safety. As Blaxsun alluded to if you do it the other way you will likely end up with inkbird alarms(which you can get around but it ruins the usefullness of them).

OP
OP
tdburchett

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is have heater at the higher setting. Inkbird controls the on/off. Internal heater controller is the safety. As Blaxsun alluded to if you do it the other way you will likely end up with inkbird alarms(which you can get around but it ruins the usefullness of them).
That makes total sense. Thanks!

OP
OP
tdburchett

tdburchett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the heater you're using has an internal temperature controller, you need to have different parameters on the Inkbird because it will go into an alarm if it's on too long, etc. There are a few threads that go into this in greater detail - so if you do a few quick searches you'll find a few examples of how others have configured their Inkbird.
Thanks! I will check the other threads

JakeAndAmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controller at lower setting, the heater has a mechanical on and off that will wear over time and could get stuck on. The controller adds redundancy l, so set your controller for 78 and your heater for 79. This will ensure you never go over your set temperature.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back