Heater watts

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexVic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AlexVic

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2024
Messages
156
Reaction score
37
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’m currently looking to buy 2 heaters for my 40 Gal. Should I get 2 50w, 75w, or 100w? Also are neo thermometers a good brand?
 
I would do two 100w heaters assuming you are running the second as a backup. I have 30 gallon with 20 gallon sump and run a single 150w heater for the last 6 years.
 
The general guideline for a single heater is about 5W per gallon for a 40g (1x 200W). So with two heaters working to heat a tank UP TO 10 degrees above room temperature, you'd look at getting 2x 100W. I can suggest that Finnex is a good brand. Not sure about Neo. Be sure to get one with a Titanium Body as it acts as a grounding probe as an extra added bonus. Also, pick up a controller as well. And GREAT job with deciding on redundancy.
 
For heaters I still follow the old 3-5 watts per gallon rule, and I always go for 5 watts. So I would get 200 watts for that tank, with an inkbird controller for safety sake.
 
Last edited:
What heaters would you recommend to go with the ink bird?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new