heater

geomarq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else ever had this problem? Its a titanium 1000w JBJ heater that develops this crud after a month or so. I have another heater in the sump by different company that is fine.

410457212.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
OP
G

geomarq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then why not the other heater? Ive even swapped out their location. The other is a Finnex, is older and has never developed that buildup. Weird.

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they both regularly come on or is one a back up?. Just wondering if heat has anything to do with it. Just a guess though I really don't know. I have had that happen to my heater before as wello

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the wattages similar? Heat does seem to cause precipitation. Or maybe its the metal? I know reef octopus pumps use nitride impellars that don't build up precipitation. Also it looks like that is in the corner of the sump. I always put heaters in high flow areas per manufacturer's recommendation.

smb2415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to guess its construction related. If the heating element is intense it will cause the water to heat more quickly and thus precipitation. The other heater may heat more slowly and thus not create as much precipitation. The intensity could be caused from a number of factors.

You could test this.
Take two identical containers, each containing the same amount of tank water, and leave in a cool area (outside?) to drop temperature way down. Then put one heater in each container for say 20min. Measure temp in both containers.. If my theory is correct the heater causing precipitation will heat much faster.

OP
OP
G

geomarq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill try the relocation suggestion, but both are 1000w heaters. I'm still thinking has a little something to do with the quality of materials compared to this Jbj vs Finnex in the sump.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heaters all get CC buildup - doesn't appear to affect performance in any way. So unless the aesthetic bothers you, just leave it be.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back