Heating a 300 gallon tank

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to heat a 300 gallon tank. It is drilled, with two over flows and I am going to run a sump on it. Probably going to push 340-380 gallons with the sump

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, whats your budget. Thats the real Q. You can run internal in tank, in sump or external heaters.....whats the ambient temp in the room, etc etc.....

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, whats your budget. Thats the real Q. You can run internal in tank, in sump or external heaters.....whats the ambient temp in the room, etc etc.....
At this point I just want ideas. It's in a house that's run around 68-70 year round

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not need much heating. My house is at 72 right now and my 360 gallon tank has been steady at 77.8 for the past two weeks. All I have running are four jaebo dcp 8000 pumps two returns two for skimmers and none of them are at 100 percent. My two 300 watt heaters feel like a waste of $$ lol.

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not quote 300 (220), but i am running 2 heaters on a Inkbird controller.
However, i am also running a 120 watt UV which heats the tank more than anything else, the heaters almost never turn on!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the ambient close to desired tank temp will help a lot.
If you want the tank at 77, keep the room at 72 to 74 to minimize the heat you have to add. Pumps and lights will add some heat.

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the ambient close to desired tank temp will help a lot.
If you want the tank at 77, keep the room at 72 to 74 to minimize the heat you have to add. Pumps and lights will add some heat.
This isn't unfortunately an option. Got an open concept home and I don't want to have my whole house that warm

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco Controller and get a box of 6 300w Eheim heaters. See if 3 or 4 will will keep the tank warm. If so, keep the rest for later. Put 2 in the display behind the rocks and 2 in the sump.

If you get a Ranco that is unwired, you can wire a multi outlet into it for your heaters.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK call me crazy, my lawyer does, but why not just get a 1000w heater and connect to a controller? I mean, isn't that how it's done? I mean this isn't SeaWorld.

I think the post on hooking it up to the home gas water heater is not thinking hard enough. Not even close. What ya gotta do is tap into the Earth's crust. Drill down far enough to where the earths core starts to warm up. I think the Russians got down to 7.2 miles when the heat really got turned on. Then straight pipe that B right into the tank. Yup that's how we do things around here.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK call me crazy, my lawyer does, but why not just get a 1000w heater and connect to a controller? I mean, isn't that how it's done? I mean this isn't SeaWorld.

I think the post on hooking it up to the home gas water heater is not thinking hard enough. Not even close. What ya gotta do is tap into the Earth's crust. Drill down far enough to where the earths core starts to warm up. I think the Russians got down to 7.2 miles when the heat really got turned on. Then straight pipe that B right into the tank. Yup that's how we do things around here.
LOL.....all I read was 300G and best way

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tankless. I could have endless hot water. I prefer to use it for my long cries in the shower when I remember how I threw my life away, but tank heating might work too.
How often do you back flush that system? I ve had mine for 5 years and yet to back flush......

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you back flush that system? I ve had mine for 5 years and yet to back flush......
We flush it once a year. I go down there with my bucket of solution (vinegar water) and let it run for 30minutes or so. Where we are at our TDS is low but there is actually sand in the water. Natural aquafer. Another reason it pays to go down there, (crawl space dug out) is there is no drain for the furnace. So it's a good time to check the little pump there. I forget what they are called but they work like those RODI floats. Make sure that thing is functioning correctly. I follow the line up to where it goes into the floor make sure it's not all backed up and crap like that.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We flush it once a year. I go down there with my bucket of solution (vinegar water) and let it run for 30minutes or so. Where we are at our TDS is low but there is actually sand in the water. Natural aquafer. Another reason it pays to go down there, (crawl space dug out) is there is no drain for the furnace. So it's a good time to check the little pump there. I forget what they are called but they work like those RODI floats. Make sure that thing is functioning correctly. I follow the line up to where it goes into the floor make sure it's not all backed up and crap like that.
Sigh......looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend......thanks buddy

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back