heating issues

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
up until recently, I've been able to keep my tank in a relatively small range, 77.5-78.5°, consistently and without problems; but then I redid my apex system after a crash. Now, having updated everything, I'm unable to keep the system at a relatively normal range. It lecture weights, going down as low as 74° and acting oddly. For example, I thought maybe the thermostat went bad in the peter itself (a cobalt neo-therm 200 W), so I replaced it with another. The problem still exists. I raised the temperature on the thermostat of the heater itself to 80°, while keeping apex's heater control at 77.3-78.3°. Still, this is the effect I've had. I can't figure out why it's still fluctuating so much. My thinking is that the heater itself should overheat (80°), but the apex should shut it off when it gets to 78.3°. But as you can tell by this image below, it just seems to be acting odd.

Could it be that my tank heater cannot keep up with the lowering temperatures during winter? (I've never had this problem before with the same heater)

tank: roughly 78 gallons/with sump
heater: cobalt Neo therm 200 W
Screenshot 2020-12-13 173412.png

Screenshot 2020-12-13 173622.png

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, only one of my corals, a pink acropora, seems to be kicking the bucket, but that thing has survived a lot. Now, I've lost half of it. :-(

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would invest in another heater and run two heaters as a redundancy.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly seems probable that your heater just can’t keep up. What is the air temp in the room that the tank is in during the times when tank temp is dropping? If the air is colder during those times then it would suggest that the heater can’t keep up.

Have you looked to see if the apex is turning the heater on during those times and felt the heater to see if it’s actually warm and heating? If the heater is on and warm, but the tank temp is still dropping then you definitely need a bigger heater.

Finally, where is the apex temp probe in relation to the heater? If it’s too close to the heater then it can cause issues because the heater might be heating up the probe while it’s on giving you inaccurate readings.

Have you changed any equipment since last winter? Maybe a new return pump? All pumps will put some heat into the water, but some pumps produce more heat than others. Perhaps an old pump was producing more heat and helping to keep the tank warm last winter.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly seems probable that your heater just can’t keep up. What is the air temp in the room that the tank is in during the times when tank temp is dropping? If the air is colder during those times then it would suggest that the heater can’t keep up.

Have you looked to see if the apex is turning the heater on during those times and felt the heater to see if it’s actually warm and heating? If the heater is on and warm, but the tank temp is still dropping then you definitely need a bigger heater.

Finally, where is the apex temp probe in relation to the heater? If it’s too close to the heater then it can cause issues because the heater might be heating up the probe while it’s on giving you inaccurate readings.

Have you changed any equipment since last winter? Maybe a new return pump? All pumps will put some heat into the water, but some pumps produce more heat than others. Perhaps an old pump was producing more heat and helping to keep the tank warm last winter.
I suppose it's possible, though right now, the temperature in the house is 72. We tend to keep it at that, which is never been a problem in the past. I'm just not sure the thermostat on one side of the house is enough for my fish tank, on the other side. I'll take the other heater and put it back in. Thanks.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it's possible, though right now, the temperature in the house is 72. We tend to keep it at that, which is never been a problem in the past. I'm just not sure the thermostat on one side of the house is enough for my fish tank, on the other side. I'll take the other heater and put it back in. Thanks.

72 doesn’t seem too bad. It looks like there was a big dip last night into this morning according to your chart. How was the temp last night and this morning? Was it much colder than the past few days? Did anything else unusual happen? You didn’t turn your lights on when you normally do or you had a pump shut off for some reason?

It also looks like it was warmer than normal yesterday evening? Anything unusual happen then?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did an update to my apex and was getting temp alarms all day for the temp bing too low, I checked my inkbird and noticed temp display was in the normal reading. Re calibrated the apex temp probe and no issues. Maybe the new update messed it up for you too?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By looking at your Apex chart 2 things stand out: A) the heater never raised temp higher than 76.8 & B) your heater has been ON for days. I'd say heater is too small and/or the calibration on the heater itself is WAY off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m wondering if heater wattage is inadequate.

OP
OP
BonelessEvil

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the responses. Yes, I think the wattage is a problem. I have about 79 gallons worth of tank (including sump, but not coral/rocks). I tried putting in a 25 W cobalt heater alongside my 200 W cobalt. It's just not enough. I'm going to have to get a 300 W. 2nd, this winter was different than the last. Since I have doors now in this room, people were going out in the middle of the night (we have dogs) and that's when the temperature was dipping.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 watt heater in a 79* tank is enough if your inside temp is comfortable.
Looks like something is turning off your heater prematurely.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back