Heavier Bioload - Skimmer Pump Speed vs Gate Valve Adjustment

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 9 months old now and obviously has much more bioload in there from startup which also means more feeding. I have the Reef Octopus Regal 200 INT running pretty dry. I have had it set at the middle setting for the varios pump since the beginning. My nutrients have started to rise more now and I want to see the best way to fine tune my skimmer to help with removing more organics to reduce the amount of nutrients being processed into the water.

Fish Stock List:

x1 Achilles Tang
x1 Naso Tang
x1 Purple Tang
x1 Blue Hippo Tang
x1 Squaretail Bristletooth Tang
x2 Clownfish
x1 Solar Fairy Wrasse
x1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
x1 Purple Firefish
x1 Diamond Goby
x1 Springeri Damsel
x2 Disbar Anthias

Should I just simply raise the pump speed all the way and adjust the gate valve accordingly to my desired skimmate? Or should I leave the pump speed alone and just adjust the gate valve?

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a whole Youtube investigates on this, I don't have a link off hand but do a search, it's worthwhile watching.

The one sentence conclusion was that more air makes one of these work better, not necessarily wet skimate. After watching what I do is crank the pump all the way to max, then adjust the gate valve to get the skimate consistency I'm after. In my case a full cup weekly.

Whiskey

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a whole Youtube investigates on this, I don't have a link off hand but do a search, it's worthwhile watching.

The one sentence conclusion was that more air makes one of these work better, not necessarily wet skimate. After watching what I do is crank the pump all the way to max, then adjust the gate valve to get the skimate consistency I'm after. In my case a full cup weekly.

Whiskey

Okay cool. I am going to give Youtube a search and find it. Thanks the explanation of how you run your skimmer, I am considering this.

Keep the tips coming everyone! Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump... just want a few more peoples input to retuning my skimmer to my tank's current bioload.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back