Heavy metals and corals

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemo's Janitor. Thank you for that post. Actually I have been a master electrician for 40 years and I did know about electrolysis. (I invented and patented the majano Wand which creates electrolysis)
I was asking Randy how the metal Nichrome reacts with salt water. If it is toxic as with copper. If the heater was cracked and water enters, the GFCI would probably not trip unless you had a ground in there someplace, but the breaker should trip instantly stopping any electrolysis except the little reaction between the copper wire and nichrome heating element.
You are correct about the impeller wearing through the casing of pumps causing them to fail. That is the most common cause of pump failure. :D

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this article posted below. Im curious if anyone has experienced coral death due to a known heavy metal in the tank.

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=rjes.2009.96.102

ABSTRACT
Specific aims of the study were to quantify heavy metal concentration in the coral tissue and to determine the toxic effect of metal on coral Galaxea fascicularis. The concentration of heavy metals in the coral tissues were assessed using Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer (AAS) technique. Various oceanographic parameters were also measured on sampling sites. Controlled tolerance experiment testing copper were performed on coral organism. Series of exposures at different range concentrations (0.025, 0.050, 0.075 and 0.100 mg L-1 Cu) were conducted for 96 h LC50. Results indicated that low variation existed among some oceanographic parameter in depth. Higher concentrations of Pb and Fe were detected in coral tissues. Short duration (24 h) laboratory assay demonstrated dramatic effects ( tissue bleaching and death) on coral at copper concentrations (0.1 mg L-1 Cu). The LC50-96 was determined to be 0.032 mg L-1Cu (II). The present experimental results demonstrated that heavy metals can have deleterious effect on coral animal, at relatively low concentrations and for brief exposures.

I experienced serious primarily SPS coral death that I am confident was attributable to heavy metals, specifically tunsgten and whatever other, untested metals are released from two rusting magnets in probe holders and a cheap Chinese "titanium" bolt in a submersed return pump. Triton tests showed tunsgten levels in excess of 500 ug/l. I have since brought the level down to under 100 through multiple 15-20% water changes and the surviving corals are recovering (I lost 20 or so fist sized and bigger acro colonies) and replacement corals showing no signs of distress. I plan to perform 2 more 20% water changes in the next two weeks and retest.

Oh.... and I'll be very careful about the quality of the metal containing products I use in and around my tank.

Last edited:

Nemo's Janitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemo's Janitor. Thank you for that post. Actually I have been a master electrician for 40 years and I did know about electrolysis. (I invented and patented the majano Wand which creates electrolysis)
I was asking Randy how the metal Nichrome reacts with salt water. If it is toxic as with copper. If the heater was cracked and water enters, the GFCI would probably not trip unless you had a ground in there someplace, but the breaker should trip instantly stopping any electrolysis except the little reaction between the copper wire and nichrome heating element.
You are correct about the impeller wearing through the casing of pumps causing them to fail. That is the most common cause of pump failure. :D

Same page and age Paul... :D know your wand well.

I have no idea how much Copper, Aluminium, Nichrome or any metal will enter the water column under (AC) conditions.

My concern is not the copper, Aluminium etc but the NaOCl caused by (AC) current.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not concerned about to much at this stage in my life.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 42 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back