Helfrichi Firefish

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still debating on the next fish in my tank. I have thought about different wrasse, but do not want to push boundaries with the limited size of my tank.

I was wondering if my 30g would be suitable to keep a trio of Helfrichi Firefish in my tank? As I have said before, I only have 2 very small Onyx Percs, hermits, snails, will be adding some peppermint shrimp to knock out a small aiptaisa problem.

Aside from that, my tank is a mixed reef and is coming together nicely...just no fish.

I want something that is rare/vibrant to bring my tank together.

Thoughts anyone?

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have plenty of rockwork for them to dart into and a tight cover on the tank you should be fine. They definitely jump...it's not if, it's when.

OP
OP
J

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the mesh top ready to throw on there. I have a lot of caves/crevices in the rock for them to go in and out. Any other husbandry issues with them or are they pretty straightforward as far as keeping?

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put a cherub or flame back Pygmy angel in there to help with algae and probably the dart fish to. But only if you have it covered.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the mesh top ready to throw on there. I have a lot of caves/crevices in the rock for them to go in and out. Any other husbandry issues with them or are they pretty straightforward as far as keeping?

They are mid water feeders so feeding them twice a day wouldn't hurt.

OP
OP
J

jdaven22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my clowns twice daily with Rod's Original, would this food suffice?. I had a Flame but re-homed it because it took to my acans and was not eating.

I would really love to put a Mandarin Dragonette as well, if I could find one that ate store bought foods but I think I am going to resist that temptation so I will not have starvation problems.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food should be fine. If you really want a splash of color you could add a flame angel to your tank. As far as the mandarin I would pass too. Even if you found one that ate pellets and frozen food they still would starve in that tank because they still eat all day. Trust me I have a 75g that has been running for years and don't know if I want to watch one of those beautiful fish starve in my tank.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny are vibrant and have a great personality if they're like other blennies. I don't know about a trio of helfrichs. If they're like the other firefish they'll eventually turn on each other. Expensive bloodbath!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back