Hello all, seeking advice.

aminik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed holes developing in this Acan coral over the past 48 hours. The coral survived a red slime bacterial infection treated successfully two months ago. Was actually showing signs of growth since then until I noticed these holes developing. I was instructed by the shop that services my tank to dip it in a solution consisting of a mixture of Reef dip, coral Rx and flatworm exit. During this process I noticed that the defects go all the way through the skeleton of the creature to the other side? I did not notice any parasites escape. I am wondering if anyone has seen this and what the cause might be. I tried to attach some pictures. The tank is 220 gal, most coral doing very well as are 5 tangs, 2 clowns, 10 chromis, single banded shrimp. Last check 2 days ago paramaters showed high Magnesium 1600, Ca 460, Alk 10.4. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• archive (4).zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 54

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

F0702B61-D9A9-4A69-B3E6-AEEBBA60D7E0.gif

OP
OP
A

aminik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update... After re inspecting the coral to take more photos, i noticed something moving in one of the new holes, it appeared to have a shell like a long clam of some sort. Not knowing what to do i stabbed it with a needle and removed most of it piece meal with forceps. I then poured a few drops of the iodine solution and Coral Rx from the under side where the holes were originating hoping to kill whatever was left. Is this a known parasite or did I unknowingly remove a part of the actual coral?! Pictures attached.

20200405_195549.jpg 20200405_201424.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed holes developing in this Acan coral over the past 48 hours. The coral survived a red slime bacterial infection treated successfully two months ago. Was actually showing signs of growth since then until I noticed these holes developing. I was instructed by the shop that services my tank to dip it in a solution consisting of a mixture of Reef dip, coral Rx and flatworm exit. During this process I noticed that the defects go all the way through the skeleton of the creature to the other side? I did not notice any parasites escape. I am wondering if anyone has seen this and what the cause might be. I tried to attach some pictures. The tank is 220 gal, most coral doing very well as are 5 tangs, 2 clowns, 10 chromis, single banded shrimp. Last check 2 days ago paramaters showed high Magnesium 1600, Ca 460, Alk 10.4. Thanks in advance.
Looks like a lobophyllia (open brain) not an acan. Gall crabs tunnel into lps corals, but your pic looks more like a worm. Might research larval stage of this animal, but probably something else. Good luck

Back