Hello all!

cortr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just signed up, am new to the marine hobby but have kept freshwater tanks successfully in the past.

Since mid-August, I'm running a 48 gallon Mr Aqua rimless tank with a Tunze skimmer and filter, Ecotech powerhead (currently only one), and a Current LED bar for lighting.

Pretty fine sand bed, averages about an inch and a half deep. I'm not sure exactly how much rock I have in there - probably 30 pounds.

For livestock I have these fish:
- Ocellaris Clown
- Lawnmower Blenny - he's looking terminally skinny, abruptly, I've read this happens to these guys :(
- Purple Firefish
- Melanurus Wrasse
- Coral Beauty
- X-Small Tomini Tang

Inverts:
- two cleaner shrimp
- tuxedo urchin (such a neat animal)
- variegated urchin (honestly, even neater than the tuxedo)
- about six narcissus snails
- a couple hermit crabs (there were more, the wrasse has eliminated them - whoops)

Corals:
- Green Torch
- Frogspawn
- Paly
- Zoas (4)
- Ricordia Yuma
- Dendrophyllia
- Elegance
- Hammers (2)
- Aussie Plate (2)
- Favia (2)

I feel remarkably clueless about the hobby still, but other than one clown fish who jumped out of the tank on the night before thanksgiving, and the wrasse picking on the hermits and snails, it's largely been a success thus far. However, am currently fighting an outbreak of (I think) cyanobacteria and still yearning for that super clean, polished look.

I figure I'm at max capacity for fish but really want to pack the thing with corals and probably need more rock to facilitate that, somehow. I'm also unhappy with my lighting, I don't get that "pop" from the coral colors like you see in the shops. Honestly it's most pronounced when the daytime lights go down and the light timer starts to simulate moonlight with a lot more blues.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (6).gif
#WelcometoR2R

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!!
Most lfs run high blues just to make those colors pop. But not good for long term survival.

I would probably suggest a screen cover. Clowns dont usually jump but wrasses do.
And we love pics!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back