Hello all!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Don't forget to post some pictures of your tank. We love pictures...

dori.jpg

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazytoddlerhello.gif

Welcome to R2R...where the advice is good, everyone is a little salty, and we all smell like fish food.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
pics!!!..we all love pics.. :)

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just signed up, am new to the marine hobby but have kept freshwater tanks successfully in the past.

Since mid-August, I'm running a 48 gallon Mr Aqua rimless tank with a Tunze skimmer and filter, Ecotech powerhead (currently only one), and a Current LED bar for lighting.

Pretty fine sand bed, averages about an inch and a half deep. I'm not sure exactly how much rock I have in there - probably 30 pounds.

For livestock I have these fish:
- Ocellaris Clown
- Lawnmower Blenny - he's looking terminally skinny, abruptly, I've read this happens to these guys :(
- Purple Firefish
- Melanurus Wrasse
- Coral Beauty
- X-Small Tomini Tang

Inverts:
- two cleaner shrimp
- tuxedo urchin (such a neat animal)
- variegated urchin (honestly, even neater than the tuxedo)
- about six narcissus snails
- a couple hermit crabs (there were more, the wrasse has eliminated them - whoops)

Corals:
- Green Torch
- Frogspawn
- Paly
- Zoas (4)
- Ricordia Yuma
- Dendrophyllia
- Elegance
- Hammers (2)
- Aussie Plate (2)
- Favia (2)

I feel remarkably clueless about the hobby still, but other than one clown fish who jumped out of the tank on the night before thanksgiving, and the wrasse picking on the hermits and snails, it's largely been a success thus far. However, am currently fighting an outbreak of (I think) cyanobacteria and still yearning for that super clean, polished look.

I figure I'm at max capacity for fish but really want to pack the thing with corals and probably need more rock to facilitate that, somehow. I'm also unhappy with my lighting, I don't get that "pop" from the coral colors like you see in the shops. Honestly it's most pronounced when the daytime lights go down and the light timer starts to simulate moonlight with a lot more blues.
Welcome to R2R and reefing. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. You have quite a stock for a young tank. Pics would be nice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back