OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lfs do you goto? I have heard about specialty pets in Winfield but have thought it's mainly salt and I dont have saltwater yet. Inland reef is nasty. Great variety but fish always look rough and tanks are rough.

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lfs do you goto? I have heard about specialty pets in Winfield but have thought it's mainly salt and I dont have saltwater yet. Inland reef is nasty. Great variety but fish always look rough and tanks are rough.
I do use Specialty Pets for Corals, because his house is about 10mins from me. Inland is nasty and i don't buy from them at all. I use the Petco at 50 Liberty Square, mostly because they have been able to special order the fish I want. No extra mark ups, I've gotten my fish for same price i could pay online w/out the shipping charges. Downfall is i had them order a tail spot blenny and they received it in bad shape. Just dont talk to the short heavy lady with colored hair... She unfortunately is the stigma of "i work here but don't these things"...

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also I can check with a coworker, he had some 20gal and 10gal tanks he is getting rid of, if you need? Ill check with him on Friday. I'm planning on snagging a 20 for the neighbors kid. And price tag of Free is hard to beat.

Camron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specialty pets is good. He operates out of his house and can order lots of healthythings at good prices. Staub aqua farms in barboursville is good too, also out of a nice guys house.

I have got most of my fish from petco due to convenience, but if I were going to get more expensive fish i would absolutely go through one of the local guys.

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like we are a dying breed in the area... The first tank I got after moving to the area (Huntington) was on the corner of 1st & 8th Ave, i got all my Mbuna Chiclids from them. They where amazing at getting FW specifics. But sadly they are gone. Ive heard of Fuji's Reef Shop which doubles as a Sushi place in South Charleston, interesting but I'm scared to check it out... ;Bored

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am a new waterkeeper. I got into t hobby this August. All started with a betta named Exercise that was gifted to my so. I now have 3 freshwater tanks about to setup a 4th. My gf likes saltwater fish more than freshwater. And I cannot deny that saltwater tanks are much prettier. I just received a 40g breeder tank that I plan to slowly evolve into a salt tank. I am just planning on two clowns a couple compatible fish. Also an anemone. I will either use a 20L to male a sump and refugium or another 40g. Just wanted to say hello
Welcome

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
584831E9-242A-4421-8D58-81CC96D8DB7A.gif

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Oh also I can check with a coworker, he had some 20gal and 10gal tanks he is getting rid of, if you need? Ill check with him on Friday. I'm planning on snagging a 20 for the neighbors kid. And price tag of Free is hard to beat.
I actually had someone give me a 40g 20L 2 10g and 3 5g for free and like 7 bags of stuff. I am using the 20L for some dark Bolivian rams I am getting. But I have 2 tons and 3 5s with no use but I'll take free tanks anytime lol. I use petco in southridge for fish or online. Inland I bought 15 cardinals and lost 9 in 12 hrs I knew better but learned. Not alot of aquarist around. I wish we had an aquatic club to meet other people in the area.. maybe we could start one!
Specialty pets is good. He operates out of his house and can order lots of healthythings at good prices. Staub aqua farms in barboursville is good too, also out of a nice guys house.

I have got most of my fish from petco due to convenience, but if I were going to get more expensive fish i would absolutely go through one of the local guys.
I'll check barboursville out when I'm around that side of town. I am going to go look at the sushi/Reef shop in south Charleston next couple of days I work down the street so I'll let you know

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow im planning on trying to stop into Staub Aqua Farm LLC, so can give ya a heads up, website seems to have some really good prices on single frags. So it has peaked my interest for sure!

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped in at Staub Aqua Farm today, Eric the owner is a nice guy! It is worth the stop in to see him, not to mention he has amazing prices. The wife and I went to check it out and well... I ended up getting a 2 headed green duncan for me ;), a pink stylophora and blue anthelia frag for the wife. Amazingly priced! So well worth the trip to say Hi!

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to check it out. For now I'm just looking for clowns and anemones. But I still have alot of building and planning. I have to build stand for 40g, decide between a 40 or 20g sump. Make baffles and get all equipment so I'm a ways away from saltwater. just doing alot of reading on here for now

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to check it out. For now I'm just looking for clowns and anemones. But I still have alot of building and planning. I have to build stand for 40g, decide between a 40 or 20g sump. Make baffles and get all equipment so I'm a ways away from saltwater. just doing alot of reading on here for now
If you need any help just say the word, also if you need mats for the project just let me know. I have a bunch of 3/4" and 1" pvc just taking up space in the garage...

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome will do. I'm looking at skimmers and return pumps first. Its between bubble magus or aquamaxx skimmer and then current water pump. And also an eshopps overflow. I will be getting thoose in the next month or 2.

Robert Riggott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome will do. I'm looking at skimmers and return pumps first. Its between bubble magus or aquamaxx skimmer and then current water pump. And also an eshopps overflow. I will be getting thoose in the next month or 2.
Not sure if it helps, but I ended up getting the Bubblemagus Curve 5 Elite, seems to work great for me. I was going to get the Eshopps overflow, but ended up getting the Marine Depot one because it has a cover and really keeps the noise down, Eshopps might have come with one but I did not see it mentioned in product details at all. For my return pump I went with a Sicce Syncra Silent. All pieces I got seems to be functioning flawlessly as of right now. But I was running canister filters forever, and the sump has been going for about 2-3 weeks. So time will tell ;Nailbiting

I might also suggest contacting Phil from specialty pets, he might have some used overflows, skimmers and such from where he closed the brick and mortar facility. I myself got heater, sump, and mixing pump off him.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No neither have I. I have been doing a lot of research and I am far from ready for corals right now. But I will be checking it out as soon as possible. I just built my stand for the 2 40 gallons. I will be wrapping it and narrowing in my equipment.

Camron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No neither have I. I have been doing a lot of research and I am far from ready for corals right now. But I will be checking it out as soon as possible. I just built my stand for the 2 40 gallons. I will be wrapping it and narrowing in my equipment.
Make sure you join salt water facebook groups in the area, ohio saltwater and reef always has used gear going cheap. (And check the forums here). I got a turn key setup from Facebook marketplace at a good price.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back