Hello fellow reefers!....wait....

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm brand new to the saltwater hobby (well, 8 days technically). I'm currently transitioning over from about 8 years of freshwater; African Cichlids to be exact.

I've had my fun with the freshwater side of things, bred various Cichlid breeds, sold them/traded them, had some live plants, and decided to spend the next few hundred bucks and built myself a 20 gallon sump and turned my 100 gal tank into a saltwater. WOOOO!!

This has been a long time coming, but I'm super excited.

I live in Southern California and have for the last 6 years, so I'm lucky to have a lot of LFS around me that have good reputations and resources.

Can't wait to share my experiences and get some info off of all of you well-experienced hobbyists.

Glad to be here!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2017-02-07 18.28.50.png

OP
OP
thinktank

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably the most friendly forum I've ever joined (that includes freshwater forums, too).

Must be something about the saltwater hobby that attracts nicer people, :p

Maybe the empathy it takes to care for animals??

Anyways, thanks for the welcomes!

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm brand new to the saltwater hobby (well, 8 days technically). I'm currently transitioning over from about 8 years of freshwater; African Cichlids to be exact.

I've had my fun with the freshwater side of things, bred various Cichlid breeds, sold them/traded them, had some live plants, and decided to spend the next few hundred bucks and built myself a 20 gallon sump and turned my 100 gal tank into a saltwater. WOOOO!!

This has been a long time coming, but I'm super excited.

I live in Southern California and have for the last 6 years, so I'm lucky to have a lot of LFS around me that have good reputations and resources.

Can't wait to share my experiences and get some info off of all of you well-experienced hobbyists.

Glad to be here!

Hi Thinktank,

Welcome to the forum :)
Now I am super excited too to see your updates!!!

Why have you decided to switch from salt water to fresh water?

Zhenya

OP
OP
thinktank

thinktank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thinktank,

Welcome to the forum :)
Now I am super excited too to see your updates!!!

Why have you decided to switch from salt water to fresh water?

Zhenya

Thanks for the welcome! I'm excited to share them. Going to get some pics going soon.

To be honest, I wanted to start out in saltwater when I first got into the fish keeping hobby back in 2008. But the cost pushed me away. I don't care what anybody says out there, there is no "cheap" way to have a reef or saltwater tank and have the creatures in your tank be happy and healthy.

So I went with Cichlid, which is probably the most difficult freshwater fish you can keep in terms of parameters, comfort, and tank mates, and did that for about 8 years or so, with a two-year hiatus in there where my tank was shut down because I had to move and the new place had a weak floor that couldn't hold up a half-ton fish tank.

What finally pushed me into saltwater was I only had two Cichlids in my tank and I was just plain bored with freshwater. I bought a smaller tank, threw the Cichlids in there, cleaned up the old tank, built a custom sump, and threw it all together in about 3 weeks.

And the rest is history! lol

Back