Hello from a not so new newbie

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long hiatus from reefing I have decided to get back into it again.
I got started in the hobby in 2004 then life got complicated and I took a break from it in 2011 until now

I used to be very active on RC before I was banned (don't ask LOL) as well as Reeffrontiers. Some of you might even remember me from RC under the same name.

In any case, I am at the beginning stage of starting (AKA equipment hoarding) a 90g mixed reef . Planning for this tank to eventually be SPS dominated.
I feel a bit out of touch with all the brand names nowadays.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Back!

Season 7 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a long hiatus from reefing I have decided to get back into it again.
I got started in the hobby in 2004 then life got complicated and I took a break from it in 2011 until now

I used to be very active on RC before I was banned (don't ask LOL) as well as Reeffrontiers. Some of you might even remember me from RC under the same name.

In any case, I am at the beginning stage of starting (AKA equipment hoarding) a 90g mixed reef . Planning for this tank to eventually be SPS dominated.
I feel a bit out of touch with all the brand names nowadays.
Welcome dh,
Hard to stay away.
Share your build if you'd like

OP
OP
dhnguyen

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome dh,
Hard to stay away.
Share your build if you'd like

Not much to show yet. Right now it's just a 90g tank, a Reef Octopus skimmer, and an Eheim 1262 and mostly stuff I held on to from my old setup. I will start a build thread when I get all the stuff I need for it.

Doing a lot of reading and research and tbh I'm a bit overwhelmed on the lighting choices.
Not sure if I should go LED or MH (I still have my old pendants and ballasts). I'm pretty handy so DIY LED is always an option also.

Been reading a lot of good things about Ocean Revive but it seems I can't find one for sale anywhere. At least not at a reasonable price anyway.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to show yet. Right now it's just a 90g tank, a Reef Octopus skimmer, and an Eheim 1262 and mostly stuff I held on to from my old setup. I will start a build thread when I get all the stuff I need for it.

Doing a lot of reading and research and tbh I'm a bit overwhelmed on the lighting choices.
Not sure if I should go LED or MH (I still have my old pendants and ballasts). I'm pretty handy so DIY LED is always an option also.

Been reading a lot of good things about Ocean Revive but it seems I can't find one for sale anywhere. At least not at a reasonable price anyway.
I went with led, ap700 on my 75g. Recently upgraded to orphek.
The metal halides throw some heat and might be too bright for some corals.
Great deals on the ap700 now since Kessel just came out with ap9x.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back