Hello from a Pre-Reefer

Mzzb78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to the forums and am in the early planning stages of putting together my first reef tank. I started my freshwater journey right before COVID when my kids came home from the state fair with a couple of gold fish they "won". I bought a little 5 gallon tank with a few fake plants and put it in my office. I found that I really enjoyed watching them swim around and taking care of them. That evolved into upgrading to a 10 gallon tank and discovering the fun of adding and maintaining a few live plants and a couple of guppies. The plants grew like crazy and a couple of guppies turned into a couple of dozen guppies, so I upgraded, again, to a 29 gallon tank for a little bit more room. It was the perfect work-from-home, lockdown hobby for us.

Fast forward to now, I'm looking to start a new adventure in the form of a reef tank. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading a lot of information. I'm over the intimidation hump and have enough confidence built up to get started. I still have plenty of newbie questions and am always open to opinions and advice. I'm looking forward to to taking this amazing hobby to the next stage.
How exciting for you!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to the forums and am in the early planning stages of putting together my first reef tank. I started my freshwater journey right before COVID when my kids came home from the state fair with a couple of gold fish they "won". I bought a little 5 gallon tank with a few fake plants and put it in my office. I found that I really enjoyed watching them swim around and taking care of them. That evolved into upgrading to a 10 gallon tank and discovering the fun of adding and maintaining a few live plants and a couple of guppies. The plants grew like crazy and a couple of guppies turned into a couple of dozen guppies, so I upgraded, again, to a 29 gallon tank for a little bit more room. It was the perfect work-from-home, lockdown hobby for us.

Fast forward to now, I'm looking to start a new adventure in the form of a reef tank. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading a lot of information. I'm over the intimidation hump and have enough confidence built up to get started. I still have plenty of newbie questions and am always open to opinions and advice. I'm looking forward to to taking this amazing hobby to the next stage.

Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great family hobby and it sounds like your family has already had fun journey!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F6452D4-1917-40CE-9B4C-C5140AA500CF.jpeg

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! Welcome to R2R! Listen I know the hobby is expensive these days, but I would recommend a 30g or larger, they are easier to keep water parameters stable. Waterbox, Red Sea, and Planet Aquariums are a place to start comparing sizes and value. Just google their websites.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back