Hello from a Pre-Reefer

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm new to the forums and am in the early planning stages of putting together my first reef tank. I started my freshwater journey right before COVID when my kids came home from the state fair with a couple of gold fish they "won". I bought a little 5 gallon tank with a few fake plants and put it in my office. I found that I really enjoyed watching them swim around and taking care of them. That evolved into upgrading to a 10 gallon tank and discovering the fun of adding and maintaining a few live plants and a couple of guppies. The plants grew like crazy and a couple of guppies turned into a couple of dozen guppies, so I upgraded, again, to a 29 gallon tank for a little bit more room. It was the perfect work-from-home, lockdown hobby for us.

Fast forward to now, I'm looking to start a new adventure in the form of a reef tank. I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos and reading a lot of information. I'm over the intimidation hump and have enough confidence built up to get started. I still have plenty of newbie questions and am always open to opinions and advice. I'm looking forward to to taking this amazing hobby to the next stage.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Have you decided what size reef tank you are setting up?? You should look into 40 breeders! They are a great size and a bit bigger then The 29 gallon freshwater tank you had.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
F

firstworldpotato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

Have you decided what size reef tank you are setting up?? You should look into 40 breeders! They are a great size and a bit bigger then The 29 gallon freshwater tank you had.
Thanks Kristopher. I actually just posted in the newbie area about my initial plans. I was going to go with a 40g breeder until I saw that the new-ish 60g breeders came out within the last year. 99% sure I'll go with that. One lesson I learned from the freshwater tanks is learning that it's easier to maintain a larger tank. Had algae problems in my 10g but none in the 29g.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef, as long as your in for the long haul you'll be OK.
My tank took a year before I can say it hit its equilibrium and became stable, but I knew this going in from my first tank yrs ago.
Good luck with your build!!!

Photo_1663712407205.jpg

Back