Hello from Canada!

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I'm brand new to this forum and similarly to the reefing hobby. I started off my fluval 13.5 in early August and everything has been running smoothly since. As a full time university student, I don't have a lot of time (or money!) so I haven't been pushing my tank with fish or coral yet. Just some snails and crabs hanging around. Algae problems come and go but I have all the patience in the world. Well, the real reason why I have no fish yet is because I travel often and I would need an automatic feeder but with the fluval lights, it would be very tricky to engineer something up.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all soon :)

p.s Does anyone know of any fish providers in downtown Toronto? My local fish store doesn't stock up on fish that often

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!
ezgif-2-87e260e22b7f.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I'm brand new to this forum and similarly to the reefing hobby. I started off my fluval 13.5 in early August and everything has been running smoothly since. As a full time university student, I don't have a lot of time (or money!) so I haven't been pushing my tank with fish or coral yet. Just some snails and crabs hanging around. Algae problems come and go but I have all the patience in the world. Well, the real reason why I have no fish yet is because I travel often and I would need an automatic feeder but with the fluval lights, it would be very tricky to engineer something up.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all soon :)

p.s Does anyone know of any fish providers in downtown Toronto? My local fish store doesn't stock up on fish that often

Welcome comrade!!!
Made this to sprinkle dry coral food every 2 hrs. Apprx. Use a timer with it. Cell phone charger

Screenshot_2018-12-13-10-40-50.png

Screenshot_2018-12-13-10-40-43.png

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What store is your local store? Fragbox?
They are not downtown but North American Fish Breeders in Scarborough is a good option, otherwise most of the other good stores are west in Mississauga, or Burlington (Rivers 2 Oceans, Aquatic Kingdom, The Coral Reef Shop). Canada Corals just moved to Vaughn as well. You're in a good spot to have access to lots of corals. I used to live in Mississauga but have lived out in the middle of nowhere the past few years. I miss frequent trips to all of the above shops.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What store is your local store? Fragbox?
They are not downtown but North American Fish Breeders in Scarborough is a good option, otherwise most of the other good stores are west in Mississauga, or Burlington (Rivers 2 Oceans, Aquatic Kingdom, The Coral Reef Shop). Canada Corals just moved to Vaughn as well. You're in a good spot to have access to lots of corals. I used to live in Mississauga but have lived out in the middle of nowhere the past few years. I miss frequent trips to all of the above shops.
Yep, fragbox! They have everything I need except fish. I know they do supply some fish but very rarely. They have tons of coral too. I do drive but i'm not trying to go west to mississauga a lot. Given North America's 4th largest city, I'd hope they would have some stores downtown...

But good to know about the place in Scarborough

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I don't recall there ever being a reef store in downtown Toronto at least not in the last 13 years. Fragbox is really the closest.

If you do go to Mississauga there are about half a dozen reef / fish stores within a 5 minute drive and most of them are actual walking distance apart so it might be worth it to just check them all out in one shot.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back