TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I initially read your message as "osteoporosis dinos"
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Bounce

Time for another cup of coffee. :D

I don't have any experience with dinos, but a lot of people here do. Seems like the most important part in getting rid of them, is figuring out what kind you have first. So you are on the right track .....GL

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

My I ask what type of light you are running? Are the Dino's in both system or just one?
Thanks! Yes, we are running a reef breeder photon 32, version 1, purchased in September 2015. We were early adopters. Dinos are only showing up in the 40g tank. I checked with a microscope and they are indeed the dreaded Ostreopsis Dinos, thus I am doing the following: manual removal with a filter sock, night assault with a UV sterilizer, heavy feeding, and no water changes, plus running carbon (changing it often). I have already lost a birds nest coral, and our montipora is on the struggle bus. I think our belted sandfish is being impacted, so I pulled him and put him in our 29g tank - hoping to see improvement from him soon.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes, we are running a reef breeder photon 32, version 1, purchased in September 2015. We were early adopters. Dinos are only showing up in the 40g tank. I checked with a microscope and they are indeed the dreaded Ostreopsis Dinos, thus I am doing the following: manual removal with a filter sock, night assault with a UV sterilizer, heavy feeding, and no water changes, plus running carbon (changing it often). I have already lost a birds nest coral, and our montipora is on the struggle bus. I think our belted sandfish is being impacted, so I pulled him and put him in our 29g tank - hoping to see improvement from him soon.
It was suggested once from WWC, if I turned down my white spectrum the Dinos would dissipate and disappear. They did when I did turn down my white spectrum. One other other question, were are you No3's and Po4's at?

OP
OP
SaltLife77

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was suggested once from WWC, if I turned down my white spectrum the Dinos would dissipate and disappear. They did when I did turn down my white spectrum. One other other question, were are you No3's and Po4's at?
Good suggestion. No3's are at 4 and Po4's are at .08. Also GFO reactor has been taken off line, and the skimmer has been turned down to a dry skim.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back