Hello from Colorado!

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to finally take the leap and join the forum after lurking for some time....

First started in reefing about 4 years ago when Biota ran a Kickstarter for an all-inclusive Evo 13.5 reef setup. Over that time it's grown into our favorite little entertainment as my wife and I have the nano right next to our dining table....we watch our goofy clowns and enjoy the several corals every day.

So, a few weeks ago, as an awesome new LFS opened about a mile from our home, we decided to go bigger! Just set up our first "big boy/girl" tank as a living room centerpiece. It's a JBJ 65 AIO with the two stock return pumps (396 gph), 2 IceCap gyre 2k wavemakers, Kessil AP9X light, a JBJ titanium heater, a JBJ skimmer, and an Icecap ATO.

Built the aquascape last week using Aquaforest dry rock, AF Stone Fix, and AF Bio Sand. Added water and ammonium chloride to get the tank to 4 ppm and then added the Bio Sand bacteria, bacteria food, and two bottles of Turbo Start. Tracking the cycle now and patiently waiting to add our first fish. (Picsof the scape just before we added water attached here)

The plan is to make this a mixed reef with some softies, several LPS, and a few reef-safe fish. We'll likely get a snail-based CUC and perhaps an invert or two at some point, like a pistol shrimp to go with a fun goby (maybe a Watchman?). Eventually, the clowns in our nano will move over with some of the corals in there as well.

So excited for this adventure over the coming months, and years!!

I have about a billion questions and am hungry for knowledge, wisdom, and perspective so I'm sure I'll be active on here. As my name here suggests, we are also hobby beekeepers and have been for several years....ever since joining that fun community we've spent countless hours learning all we can about our bees to become the best bee-caretakers possible. Now we routinely teach new beekeepers to pass it on! Looking forward to slowly moving from newbie to competent to confident to passing knowledge and support on to others in the reefing community.

IMG-2205.PNG IMG-2204.PNG IMG-2202.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back