OP
OP
John_in_MI

John_in_MI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do another ICP just to check on things. One thing that I've found is light intensity can make a big difference especially if everything else is not perfect. One of the best things I ever did was to get a Par meter and measure all possible coral placement spots at different intensities and record the results. This should help me to place corals better moving forward and set my lights correctly. This is where I recorded the results.

After reading how Blastos like very low light I found a spot on the sand under an overhang that seems to have made them very happy.

My understanding is pulsing Xenia can adapt to a variety lighting so your lights may or may not be the issue. It would be interesting to see the results of the ICP if you post them.
Just out of curiosity, did you buy a PAR meter? I was thinking about renting one from BRS after I get the new lighting. It seemed to be quite a large cost for something I would likely only use once. Next time I do an ICP test, I am going to get two test kits. I want to see the results immediately before and the day after my regular water change. I am extremely curious to see what happens to the trace elements. One of the guys at WWC told me to check my Iodine if everything else looks good, but I am still losing Xenia.

OP
OP
John_in_MI

John_in_MI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights did u order and plan on selling any old lights??
I ordered the 48" AI Blades, 2 Grow, and 2 Glow. I am replacing 3 AI 26 Hydra Hds and associated fixture. I hadn't thought about what I would do with the old lights yet. Before I settled on buying the Blades, I had considered buying an additional Hydra 26 (getting harder to find), and doing a hybrid set up with 2 blades and the hydras. Ultimately, I decided to go with the the 4 Blades.

Attachments

• AI 26 Hydras.jpg
    AI 26 Hydras.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 6

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, did you buy a PAR meter? I was thinking about renting one from BRS after I get the new lighting. It seemed to be quite a large cost for something I would likely only use once. Next time I do an ICP test, I am going to get two test kits. I want to see the results immediately before and the day after my regular water change. I am extremely curious to see what happens to the trace elements. One of the guys at WWC told me to check my Iodine if everything else looks good, but I am still losing Xenia.
I decided to buy a MQ-510 LED PAR Meter but, in retrospect, I could have rented. I used it initially to map out the various points in my tank at different intensities and just use that map for reference when placing corals. I used it again when I set up my coral qt tank and will probably use it again when I eventually set up a frag tank. If I decide to change spectrum on my DT (currently running AB+) I will remap the DT lighting.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see if you can pinpoint the reason for the Xenia loss and how to rectify. It is amazing to me the tools we have now like ICP and Par meters that weren't readily available 300 years ago (seems that long at least) when I started. Just being able to research information on the Internet is an incredible tool that wasn't available when I started.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back