Hello from Nebraska.

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm a saltwater newbie and a freshwater vet of 15 years. I've always wanted a reef tank, and after selling it to my wife, she has finally approved of it. (With one caveat, she wants to see hermies, hah). Being from Nebraska, the saltwater stores are few and far between, and being 3 hours away from the nearest one, I'm wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for reputable online places, I've read good things about LA and TMS, but saltwater is understandably more expensive livestock wise, and I'd just like to ensure our first purchase, at the very least, is going to have a chance.

That said, I have a 32g biocube (Couldn't resist the setup!) and I will be using a 10g tank that I will be setting up for QT. Additionally, from your experiences, and I know it varies greatly by each persons own biological system, I'd like to include a few hermits and snails to add a little bit of diversity beyond the fish and coral that will eventually call it home. I've read so much conflicting information when it comes to how many. These fellas won't be used to keep an algae problem under control, but more for the diversity of the system. Can a few of you vets offer some advice?

As my tank is set up and only been running for 2 days, we still have a long way to go.
I'm excited to join the community!

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a fellow reefer an exNebraskan I’d highly recommend TSM! I’ve ordered from them numerous times and fish always come in healthy, eating quickly and zero issues. LA use to be good but since they have been bought out is shaky in my experience.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm a saltwater newbie and a freshwater vet of 15 years. I've always wanted a reef tank, and after selling it to my wife, she has finally approved of it. (With one caveat, she wants to see hermies, hah). Being from Nebraska, the saltwater stores are few and far between, and being 3 hours away from the nearest one, I'm wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for reputable online places, I've read good things about LA and TMS, but saltwater is understandably more expensive livestock wise, and I'd just like to ensure our first purchase, at the very least, is going to have a chance.

That said, I have a 32g biocube (Couldn't resist the setup!) and I will be using a 10g tank that I will be setting up for QT. Additionally, from your experiences, and I know it varies greatly by each persons own biological system, I'd like to include a few hermits and snails to add a little bit of diversity beyond the fish and coral that will eventually call it home. I've read so much conflicting information when it comes to how many. These fellas won't be used to keep an algae problem under control, but more for the diversity of the system. Can a few of you vets offer some advice?

As my tank is set up and only been running for 2 days, we still have a long way to go.
Welcome!

I only did fish mail order 1x, so that is too small a sample size to count for your recommendation. Defer to others. I use Bulk Reef Supply for dry goods most online orders, but there are others (Marine Depot, Big Als (Amazon vendor), more)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Welcome to the fishy family! I can't say that I have had great experiences with LA. At this point, I'd spend more for QT'd fish from say @REEFTIDE than risk sick fish. I would also suggest @reefcleaners for CUC. They are very helpful and they can advise you on what you need for what type of tank. Good folks....
all Floridians... LOL Maybe I'm biased. Send a little sunshine to Nebraska!
Good luck wit the build!
GIF by visitorlando

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back