Hello from New Jersey.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of nice options for nano AIO aquariums, Waterbox Aquariums, Lifegard, JBJ, Fluval, they all make good stuff. Just depends on what you want.

Also I’m not sure where in NJ you are, but you should check out ReefCo Aquarium Service if it’s within your range and you’re looking for coral. Best place I’ve ever been to for coral in NJ, by far. It’s in central NJ.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start now

WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Well I would suggest simply waiting and saving up your money to buy the equipment you would want to buy, wait to buy the equipment around Black Friday deals where you can save a ton of cash and get the best stuff for your money. What I would do in the mean time is set up a place to simply cure some rocks and, just need a nice tub with some saltwater, heater, powerhead, and a light. You could also if you are wanting to actually start growing out some of the coral is get a cheap nano tank. If you wanna go the nano tank route lemme know what size I can give you some suggestions for what one to buy if you would like. I wouldn't however waste a ton of cash on the nano considering you know you will be upgrading. Sorry for he long message just wanted to give you my two sense. :cool:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've been browsing the site for a couple of months and the info here is incredible. I have a question that I'm sure you can help me with. I really want to get a 100-110gallon FOWLR tank. I will go with Miracle Aquarium, ReefSavvy or get a Cade. The problem is my lease is up May 2021. We are going to buy a house roughly 20mins away from my current house. Here's the question. Should I wait until I move next year to start a tank or would it be okay to start now? I really want to start now but I know relocating the tank is a huge deal. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Welcome!

My Vote: Do what you want.

My REAL Vote: Do smaller 55 gallon (or smaller) DT (display tank) now with a 5g QT (quarantine tank - Petco combo is cheap - can also be used as hospital tank if needed), move, at new house (after painting done) get that larger tank. Smaller is easier to move, lets you scratch immediate itch which is just going to make you want another larger tank anyhow! You'll get a feel if the 100g is really what you want - and if you don't want two DTs everyone always looking to buy a used 55g so easy to sell - you might even be able to find one on craigslist to get started

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group! Hmmm ... I'm leaning towards a Nano (with limited livestock) to satisfy the salt yearnings ... then upgrade when you move. Wile it has been stated ... and it's true ... moving fish and rock only is doable ... I always envision worse case scenario ... and how I would feel IF a fish ... if a PET would perish with any unforeseen circumstances before or during the move. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
E

eddiebear42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'd suggest waiting a year. Moving a tank that size takes a lot longer than you would think. That said, if you have enough strong family and friends that can help you move the tank, you only live once...
My family and friends are fairly strong so I wouldn't have to worry much about moving that tank. I still know things can happen with such a large tank. I know what I should do, I'm just not being patient.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome71.jpg

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to R2R. Your post confused me, lease is up in May of 21 but not moving to a house for a year? Sounds like a double move? Then wait for sure.

I have been here studying, learning, planning since August. You could take your time and start buying equipment a little at a time. The suggestion of starting smaller is good, you can always use the smaller tank for QT later....Good Luck whichever way you go.

OP
OP
E

eddiebear42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to R2R. Your post confused me, lease is up in May of 21 but not moving to a house for a year? Sounds like a double move? Then wait for sure.

I have been here studying, learning, planning since August. You could take your time and start buying equipment a little at a time. The suggestion of starting smaller is good, you can always use the smaller tank for QT later....Good Luck whichever way you go.
Hopefully I can clear it up a bit. Last year I moved back to NJ for work. I am currently renting the house. The owner wants me to buy the house but I am not interested in buying the current house. We agreed that this will be my last year renting the house. My wife and I are planning on buying a house next year. We'll be looking to buy closer to the kid's school which is roughly 20mins away.

GoingBroke88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club and nice to see someone else from NJ. If you need any info on local stores or want to meet local reefers, consider checking out NJReefers as well.

I second the recommendations to start with a smaller nano, figure out what equipment you'd like, do some research, etc then go big after your move. You might even find someone getting out who can give you a good deal on a whole setup. If you've got some time to look around, you can definitely save yourself some money.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back