Hello, from the Houston area. Long time lurker, first time posting.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I was a child I have always had exotic pets, like reptiles and fish. Years back I had a 20 gallon reef with HOB filter and E-Bay T-5s. It was up for a few years before I neglected it due to work/family obligations. But, now my career has matured and my children are getting ready to leave home, and I have more time and money to devote to the hobby, I have decided to jump back in. I started a 15 gallon cube w/ a 10 gallon DIY sump a few months back.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sending you a big "Howdy" from your northern DFW neighbor!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you (Houston is also active on FaceBook sites):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome and Houston, looks like you have no problems...

aquaman-oldschool.gif

OP
OP
TheyGaveItToMe

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Sending you a big "Howdy" from your northern DFW neighbor!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you (Houston is also active on FaceBook sites):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thanks for the suggestion. I definitely need to do this. I didn't really document this build very well. But, am in the very beginning stages of a larger build, that I think maybe a better candidate.

OP
OP
TheyGaveItToMe

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome and Houston, looks like you have no problems...

aquaman-oldschool.gif
Thanks, I'm going to the extreme this go around. I even went as far as setting up a separate 10 gallon QT, while this setup cycled I treated the clowns with Copper power and then General Cure. And, a 5 gallon observation set-up for frags. I learned the hard way last time, and with the wealth of advice and knowledge here, I hope to be off to a better start.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from another Houstonian. ;)

FJW and Ocean Life Aquariums if you are more centrally located.
That Aquarium Place is out in the burbs, north side.
Aquarium Design Group on the south side is always fun to check out for their display tanks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, other than FJW do you have any recommendations for LFS?
Lots, lol! These are the ones I have been to.

Dennis at FJW is great. He really cares about his customers and the animals he sells. Great selection of dry goods too.

Ocean Life Aquarium - Nick is also a top notch guy. He has some quarantined fish, and lots of healthy coral. He and his staff are very willing to help and answer questions.

Aquarium Design Group - if you've never been, you really need to go. The front of the store is like an art museum! Lots of really cool freshwater and planted tanks, and a huge reef display. In the back are the fish, inverts, and coral for sale. Owners and staff are very knowledgeable. I don't get there too often (opposite side of town) but it's always worth the trip.

Fishbowl and More - Carlos and Manny are great, and prices are good. Their store is quite a way from me so I don't get there too often, but they are who I ordered my custom tank and stand from... VERY easy to work with and when I was looking, Carlos really took the time to work with me.

Fish Gallery - good stores if you are shopping for a tank since they have a large number of aquariums on display, especially at the Galleria area store. Their prices on dry goods are generally fair, but I've never been too impressed with their livestock selection. I have had bad experiences with the general managers though and generally don't shop there unless I really need something (the north location is about 15 minutes from me and they're open 7 days).

There's also Houston Aquarium Warehouse in Stafford -i haven't been there in a while but another really good shop.

That Aquarium Place is in Spring... They are expanding soon and it should be a big improvement.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 92 44.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 96 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.6%
Back