Hello from the UK!

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

Thought i'd try and get involved with the Aquatics side of the Industry from your side of the pond.

I've worked with Marines for over 11 years (And im only 26!) and have got a Marine Biology Degree.

I currently manage an Aquatics outlet (Working on a website for it at the moment) over in the UK which has been established for nearly 40 years.

Hope to be a good active member of this forum, I'm active on a lot of the UK ones and Moderate on a couple so am well versed in the reefing forum world.

Anything you guys and girls want to know just shout!

Muchos Gracias

~Andy

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Andy great to have you sir! What type of stuff you sell at the outlet?

OP
OP
A

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate

It's a fish shop really. Sell everything from coldwater stuff (UK is great weather for nice Koi), tropicals and marines.

Marines is what i'm more into TBH. Lots of nicer corals coming through at the moment. Duncans, Blastos and Acans just become legal again over here so thats the big game.

Had a go at importing fomr florida rics but they were poo and small...

Fish wise we tend to only stock the more "Reef Safe" fish so not much in the butterfly world. Do a lot with centropyge angels, anthias and dottybacks though.

Nice little shop though. I've only been running it for about 3 months but its already going places. Setting up a room for Fragging soon and some nice new SPS tanks coming in this week.

Got a 150G Miracle Mud display tank and an 8 foot fish only system set up in the shop too which look pretty good!

All livestock is fully quarantined for 10 days prior to sale too, is that a usual standard in the US too? Not many places over here do it but I only want to be selling fish i'd put in my own tanks.

~Andy

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not in the hobby when I lived over there (born and raised in Halifax ~50 miles from Manchester for you Americans) and never saw a marine shop. As Andy says, the Koi industry is big, my Mum and Dad had a decent size Koi pond for 15+ years. That being said, I alway pick up the Merk PO4 kits when I go home, $100 here or $35 there, but I get them from a scientific place not a fish store.

Welcome to R2R, even if you are a Lancastrian.

OP
OP
A

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, dang Yorkshiremen!

I'm actually a Cumbrian but living here now through work.

Merck PO4 kits are something I need to invest in too, their Copper test kits are awesome but the trade price on them is £140 ($285ish) so not too cheap!

Still loving it here though, lots of Wrasse fans which is good to see!

~Andy

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, visited GB about 2 years ago. Nice country...but the food we had was not so nice. Guess you have to be from GB to enjoy the food. Or, maybe we just ate at the wrong places??

OP
OP
A

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, visited GB about 2 years ago. Nice country...but the food we had was not so nice. Guess you have to be from GB to enjoy the food. Or, maybe we just ate at the wrong places??

lol

Thats like saying I went to China and hate Chinese food! :p

Evidently you didn't let me cook for you, i'm awesome!

Glad to see this thread is now waaaaaaaaaay off topic!

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is interesting to talk to others from different countries and cultures.

coral diver

Old and Wise
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ho Glad to hear from the opposite side of the pond well in my case its not just the pond I'm on the opposite side of this big hunk of rock called America.
And the only contact i got there in the UK is our ANSTI tech guy and since your a Marine Biologist your most likely familiar with our product SCUBAPRO, UWATEC & SEAMAN SUB.

Now its my turn to say WELCOME

OP
OP
A

Andy Lister

UK Aquatic Retailer Sort
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is interesting to talk to others from different countries and cultures.

Sure is, hope you didn't take any offence by what I said... good old British Sarcasm doesn't translate well does it! Hahahaha

Hi Ho Glad to hear from the opposite side of the pond well in my case its not just the pond I'm on the opposite side of this big hunk of rock called America.
And the only contact i got there in the UK is our ANSTI tech guy and since your a Marine Biologist your most likely familiar with our product SCUBAPRO, UWATEC & SEAMAN SUB.

Now its my turn to say WELCOME

Hi mate!! Well aware of the product. I never actually finished my diving course (The instructors were a liabilty) but have heard of the items and I think a friend of mine (PADI Instructor) uses your dive computer!

Thats a whole lot away from here mate being well over there. I've never actually visited the states but would be looking to emmigrate over there at some point once the missus has got a bit of experience as a fashion buyer. This country is going to the dogs!

~Andy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back