Hello, new here

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well.

Admittingly I have been delaying posting a thread here for some time. Partially out of intimidation and/or asking fairly stupid questions; additionally, because there is so much amazing information on this forum to read through. For the past 10 or so years (on and off) I have been dreaming and researching everything saltwater tanks. Some call it over planning but that is just the way I am with caring for animals, I want to make sure I am very well informed. I am still some time away from making the leap (for several reasons) but am at the point in my research that I would like to solicit the community for advise.

I currently run several planted freshwater tanks but would like to eventually keep a saltwater reef aquarium. Reef aquariums just seem infinitely more complicated than freshwater. My main question revolves around filtration (specifically mechanical) and algae prevention but I will also try and outline my preliminary plans. Any critiques or suggestions are very much encouraged.

In freshwater planted tanks I just run biological filtration. (no filters aside from the plants and bacteria) The bacteria and plants take care of the nitrogen. I guess you can say my ethos of tanks are "as natural as possible." Algae is never a concern as the plants outcompete the algae. (in fact I try to grow a certain kind of algae but can't ever get it to expand as intended) Now obviously this won't really translate to new saltwater aquariums as there are no plants to uptake nutrients. In established aquariums large amounts of corals will outcompete algae for nutrients correct? However, corals can only thrive after a certain point in time. (after coralline algae growth?) So:

1. How does one prevent algae initially and in an ongoing manner without large populations of corals? I guess my plan is to set up a tank (around 75-120 gallons) with sand and rock without any light. Dose ammonia until my cycle is fully established. Then switch over to a few fish for the nitrogen "source" (really it is the fish food) with moderate light waiting for coralline algae to grow indicating suitable conditions for corals? In divergence with my freshwater tanks, I plan to use RODI water. Therefore the only nutrients available for the algae are those added from the food addition). Maybe after adding fish, monitor the situation and if necessary: 1. conduct larger/more water changes 2. run a refugium until I can switch over to corals to outcompete algae? Anything I am overlooking?

2. In my freshwater tanks I don't mind the slightly yellowish water, however in my planned reef tank I would like clearer water which is where mechanical filtration will add some benefits. Choices here seem to be either filter socks or skimmers. With filter socks, it seems maximum efficiency is achieved by every 2-3 days cleaning/changing the socks and any time after that renders the socks ineffective. I might be able to keep up with this regiment, but is think it is probably unlikely. The skimmer just seems rather complex for me and my wish of keeping everything very simple. Any comments on this topic? For nitrogen removal I will rely on the bacteria in the tank and I am not opposed to some chemical filtration. (ie charcoal every once in a while) Is it necessary to have mechanical filtration for clear-clear"ish" water? I always do weekly water changes in my other tanks no missed days, so would a good water change schedule be enough? (Also considering an auto water change system) I guess it all depends on how much I feed etc. but in general terms: is it possible (and easy/feasible) to have clear water without mechanical filtration?

To stay referenced, my tentative desires are:
Reef tank (75-120 gallons), soft/lps corals (might throw in a sps well down the road), and a fairly light bio-load of fish/inverts.

Sorry for the long post, but I do thank everyone who read to the end. o_O Thank you for taking the time to read and respond; any critiques or suggestions are very much welcomed.

Kind regards,

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You mentioned keeping the tank as natural as possible - if you think about going to the beach and seeing the froth (sometimes even stinky froth) that occasionally forms in the area where the waves reach the beach, then you have just seen nature's skimmer. I'm sure others will jump in soon to answer some of your additional questions. Good luck!

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once established, reef tanks are easier than freshwater tanks. If properly set up, they form a mini eco system. I would say definitely use a skimmer and lots of live rock. That is 90% of the filtration you need. Apart from that and depending on your biloload and how many fish you keep and if you want to have corals and what type, you can run additional filtration such as filter floss or socks or macro-algae. Again, depending on what you want to keep, proper lighting is another must.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome42.gif

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! You mentioned keeping the tank as natural as possible - if you think about going to the beach and seeing the froth (sometimes even stinky froth) that occasionally forms in the area where the waves reach the beach, then you have just seen nature's skimmer. I'm sure others will jump in soon to answer some of your additional questions. Good luck!
Thanks all for the welcome. I am not at all opposed to running a skimmer if it is deemed necessary; I am more intimidated by the technology more so than trying to run a very basic tank.
I think once established, reef tanks are easier than freshwater tanks. If properly set up, they form a mini eco system. I would say definitely use a skimmer and lots of live rock. That is 90% of the filtration you need. Apart from that and depending on your biloload and how many fish you keep and if you want to have corals and what type, you can run additional filtration such as filter floss or socks or macro-algae. Again, depending on what you want to keep, proper lighting is another must.
Easier than freshwater? All my plants soak up the NH4, NO2 and NO3, use the waste to grow, don’t have to clean any filters nor mix salt water. I guess saltwater aquariums always sound so intimidating, but maybe I am making more of it than necessary.

The plan was to add a lot of dry rock to avoid pests etc. Is this a bad idea? It will take longer to cycle but I can wait.

I plan to have a lot of coral eventually. (Soft/lps) Sounds like I will have to invest in more filtration then from context of your comment.

I believe after a lot of research, I have everything else down including lighting. I’m surprised, as lighting is more important in reef aquariums than freshwater, that reef lighting as freshwater lighting don’t provide important information like PUR. Oh well.

If I may make one more inquiry: Can yellowish water be corrected by uv? Or I guess, what actually causes the yellowish water?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all for the welcome. I am not at all opposed to running a skimmer if it is deemed necessary; I am more intimidated by the technology more so than trying to run a very basic tank.

Although some may argue whether or not a skimmer is absolutely necessary, skimmers are commonly used on reef tanks in the size range that you mentioned as a method of mechanical filtration. In nano tanks this can be replaced with regular decent size water changes that may not be as practical (or desirable) with a large tank. Another possible method would be a refugium, algae reactor, or turf scrubber, however I typically use those in addition to a skimmer and not in place of a skimmer. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
A

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although some may argue whether or not a skimmer is absolutely necessary, skimmers are commonly used on reef tanks in the size range that you mentioned as a method of mechanical filtration. In nano tanks this can be replaced with regular decent size water changes that may not be as practical (or desirable) with a large tank. Another possible method would be a refugium, algae reactor, or turf scrubber, however I typically use those in addition to a skimmer and not in place of a skimmer. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Ah, this makes sense!

In continuing with this line of thinking would an auto-water change system in a large tank that does regular water changes suffice then?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I hope everyone is doing well.

Admittingly I have been delaying posting a thread here for some time. Partially out of intimidation and/or asking fairly stupid questions; additionally, because there is so much amazing information on this forum to read through. For the past 10 or so years (on and off) I have been dreaming and researching everything saltwater tanks. Some call it over planning but that is just the way I am with caring for animals, I want to make sure I am very well informed. I am still some time away from making the leap (for several reasons) but am at the point in my research that I would like to solicit the community for advise.

I currently run several planted freshwater tanks but would like to eventually keep a saltwater reef aquarium. Reef aquariums just seem infinitely more complicated than freshwater. My main question revolves around filtration (specifically mechanical) and algae prevention but I will also try and outline my preliminary plans. Any critiques or suggestions are very much encouraged.

In freshwater planted tanks I just run biological filtration. (no filters aside from the plants and bacteria) The bacteria and plants take care of the nitrogen. I guess you can say my ethos of tanks are "as natural as possible." Algae is never a concern as the plants outcompete the algae. (in fact I try to grow a certain kind of algae but can't ever get it to expand as intended) Now obviously this won't really translate to new saltwater aquariums as there are no plants to uptake nutrients. In established aquariums large amounts of corals will outcompete algae for nutrients correct? However, corals can only thrive after a certain point in time. (after coralline algae growth?) So:

1. How does one prevent algae initially and in an ongoing manner without large populations of corals? I guess my plan is to set up a tank (around 75-120 gallons) with sand and rock without any light. Dose ammonia until my cycle is fully established. Then switch over to a few fish for the nitrogen "source" (really it is the fish food) with moderate light waiting for coralline algae to grow indicating suitable conditions for corals? In divergence with my freshwater tanks, I plan to use RODI water. Therefore the only nutrients available for the algae are those added from the food addition). Maybe after adding fish, monitor the situation and if necessary: 1. conduct larger/more water changes 2. run a refugium until I can switch over to corals to outcompete algae? Anything I am overlooking?

2. In my freshwater tanks I don't mind the slightly yellowish water, however in my planned reef tank I would like clearer water which is where mechanical filtration will add some benefits. Choices here seem to be either filter socks or skimmers. With filter socks, it seems maximum efficiency is achieved by every 2-3 days cleaning/changing the socks and any time after that renders the socks ineffective. I might be able to keep up with this regiment, but is think it is probably unlikely. The skimmer just seems rather complex for me and my wish of keeping everything very simple. Any comments on this topic? For nitrogen removal I will rely on the bacteria in the tank and I am not opposed to some chemical filtration. (ie charcoal every once in a while) Is it necessary to have mechanical filtration for clear-clear"ish" water? I always do weekly water changes in my other tanks no missed days, so would a good water change schedule be enough? (Also considering an auto water change system) I guess it all depends on how much I feed etc. but in general terms: is it possible (and easy/feasible) to have clear water without mechanical filtration?

To stay referenced, my tentative desires are:
Reef tank (75-120 gallons), soft/lps corals (might throw in a sps well down the road), and a fairly light bio-load of fish/inverts.

Sorry for the long post, but I do thank everyone who read to the end. o_O Thank you for taking the time to read and respond; any critiques or suggestions are very much welcomed.

Kind regards,
Hey argos,
Welcome to NaCl h20.

Like others have said, skimmer, refugium are your filtration.
And can be setup to be self sufficient, just feed as required.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, lots of great info buried in this forum and lots of great help from everyone. I am finding that I am reading a lot and picking/choosing what will work best for me in my build. Good luck.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back