Hello, new in FL

Supertanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all-
I'm new to the hobby/passion. I have a 125 gallon corner tank I'm just setting up after a few months of research, planning, purchasing equipment. (I started a build thread yesterday). My son (Ben, sixteen years old) is super into freshwater aquaria and he has multiple projects up and running, from a 2500+ gallon pond we built together, which houses not only Koi but redtail cats (HUGE!), Shovelnose cats, Clown Knifes, Oscars... to separate nursery tanks, turtle tanks, snappers, side necks etc. Honestly, I have no interest in indoor fresh water stuff. I've always wanted to have a beautiful reef tank. He just looks at me, smiles, and shakes his head. The more I've proceeded runnin' down the dream, I've done some head shaking myself, but now have the added goal of getting him to admit that dad was right. So my tank has to be cool, and awesome, and successful. And so far, with only 30 out of 125 gallons in the tank, it's a blast.
Personal:
Married 23 years. Wife Karen, known since 4th grade. Breast cancer survivor. Supermom. Rock.
Two sons: Jack, 19, UF Go Gators, Leukemia survivor- Man! Ben, 16, HS Sophomore, boater, fisherman, very 16 in all ways, mini (well, not mini)-me.
Me: Two brothers. Grew up Sarasota, FL as swimmer, love this place. Swam LSU 1985-89. Failed out (party...beat that). USF BS Zoology. Then...Veterinarian (UF 1998), DVM Intern (UGA 1998-99), Surgery Intern Orange Park, FL 1999-2000, Surgery Resident (Mich State CVM 2000-2003). Back to FL...raise the family. Blessed to be here, alive, happy and healthy. Together. My mom and in-laws all healthy and local.
My brother-in-law is into salt water tanks, so he's an advisor.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Wtr2r41.gif

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @Supertanker ! Diggin' the land shark in your avatar. Thanks for all the info about yourself, your family, your tanks and your background. Only thing I think you forgot was your own name. :eek:

tenor.gif

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all-
I'm new to the hobby/passion. I have a 125 gallon corner tank I'm just setting up after a few months of research, planning, purchasing equipment. (I started a build thread yesterday). My son (Ben, sixteen years old) is super into freshwater aquaria and he has multiple projects up and running, from a 2500+ gallon pond we built together, which houses not only Koi but redtail cats (HUGE!), Shovelnose cats, Clown Knifes, Oscars... to separate nursery tanks, turtle tanks, snappers, side necks etc. Honestly, I have no interest in indoor fresh water stuff. I've always wanted to have a beautiful reef tank. He just looks at me, smiles, and shakes his head. The more I've proceeded runnin' down the dream, I've done some head shaking myself, but now have the added goal of getting him to admit that dad was right. So my tank has to be cool, and awesome, and successful. And so far, with only 30 out of 125 gallons in the tank, it's a blast.
Personal:
Married 23 years. Wife Karen, known since 4th grade. Breast cancer survivor. Supermom. Rock.
Two sons: Jack, 19, UF Go Gators, Leukemia survivor- Man! Ben, 16, HS Sophomore, boater, fisherman, very 16 in all ways, mini (well, not mini)-me.
Me: Two brothers. Grew up Sarasota, FL as swimmer, love this place. Swam LSU 1985-89. Failed out (party...beat that). USF crap Zoology. Then...Veterinarian (UF 1998), DVM Intern (UGA 1998-99), Surgery Intern Orange Park, FL 1999-2000, Surgery Resident (Mich State CVM 2000-2003). Back to FL...raise the family. Blessed to be here, alive, happy and healthy. Together. My mom and in-laws all healthy and local.
My brother-in-law is into salt water tanks, so he's an advisor.
“Tell us a little more about yourself.”
Actually, in my time here that is the most comprehensive personal introduction that focused on family more than the reef tank. I like it, a man after my own heart. I also have a wife post bc, three children, and I once built a koi pond in the front room of a house we rented in Belmont Shore CA.
I was too lazy to seek my parents dream of becoming a veterinarian, I floated through school without any clear goal,

But enough about that,
Welcome to Reef2Reef

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Great intro. I will be in Florida permanently in 32 months (Doral, FL) Your personal was interesting and on this site, we will make this reef hobby interesting and fun.

welcome3.jpg

Back