Hello, new to saltwater here..

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcomes. First question: Is there any reason to do water changes if it's just a tank with live sand/live rocks? Due to Covid-19 stay-at-home, I am having patience forced upon me and cannot visit any LFS. I'm doing water testing and will adjust anything necessary before adding livestock.
your tank of saltwater, live sand, and live rock has bacteria living in it. they need to grow. if you are feeding them they generate waste. in the bacteria that waste is the Cycle. if you are getting ammonia, then nitrites, then nitrates the bacteria colonies are building up. the reason you would do water changes prior to adding fish is to export the nitrates. until the nitrates get high you are good without water changes. in my opinion.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I'm just beginning the process of saltwater reef aquarium ownership. I've had numerous freshwater tanks over the years, but never saltwater.

I'm learning a bunch so far using YouTube and forums like this. I was very impressed with the attitude towards new people on this site so I joined. I'm sure I'll have more than my share of newbie questions!

I bought a Biocube 32 LED and will be adding the InTank media basket and refugium soon. After that I'll just wait until I learn more to see what else to upgrade. In the long run I want to establish a larger tank but wanted to get my hands wet on this one first.

Looking forward to sharing success/failure stories with you all!

Dan
Welcome to R2R....Lots of great folks and info to be had here. Oh and welcome from the east coast of FLA...I'm in Palm Bay. I have been to Ft myers a few times. Nice area.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back